Cheap Reptile Online Sites???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The majority of the reptile products sold in Australia are made in China !

Think about it from a retailers point of view, Yes the item may only cost .90 cents BUT by the time you buy it pay import dutys, freight,gst, shop rent, staff wages and all the loadings (super etc),interest, insurances out of you own pocket it adds up substantially! At the end of the day there is very little left for profit.

this is true l have just brought a shop and the profit is not what you think the cost to running the shop are huge and the amount of people who steal from the shop is getting bigger and that takes profit

That is actually really true there so over priced and this is why i have started this forum asking as iv seen a couple of sites now and there alot cheaper by far especially the lights and enclosures for some reason lol

what about online reptile stores from australia?? very minimal domain rental, can be run by one or two people and very minimal maintainence costs to keep a site running once the site has be designed and setup. i see insane markups in my job and its ridiculous. why can i buy an item from america or europe in a single buy item price plus postage and then resell it to make a profit here in australia and still be cheaper thamn an australian seller? can aussie stores not buy the same item from their wholesaler and sell it at a competitive price??

I can understand that in the past australian business can work to the already high 'across the board' market prices but we live in an age of internet shopping and global market competition.. either you come and play the game or you are going to lose business.. sad but true

Having said that i hate waiting for stuff and would prefer to shop in aus and will shop locally and do shop with aussie online stores and id rather keep my money onshore if its economical... so please Australia come on board..

Jmo :)

i know of a few wholesalers that will not sell their product to you unless you have a shopfront.

Australian shops cant compete with online, particularly overseas. Australian shops have to charge gst which supports our health and education systems, amongst the best in the world.Australian shops have to provide workers compensation and minimum wages for employees which many overseas countries do not.
Over time- if you cant beat them join them.The level playing field will bring us all down to the lowest common denominator.
It is sad that so many buyers look at what is cheapest now without considering the longer term consequences.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what justdragons means is that if shop front & staff costs are too high and a reason for the high product pricing, then maybe online is the way to go. An online shop can be easily managed by 2 people (more if you have the $$ to spend) and are very cheap to run...

We run a side web design business and offer eCommerce (shopping) websites from as little as $2,500 AUD (not including domain name and hosting). These are complete web-store packages with an administrator panel allowing you to maintain your entire store. Some features include being able to upload an unlimited amount of products & categories, view/update customer orders, customer and sale reports (daily, weekly, monthly etc.) and uses payment methods such as direct deposit, PayPal and eWay as well as AusPost & Fastway shipping methods and much more (PM me for more info. if interested).

Only compulsory ongoing costs would be your domain name (.com OR .com.au) and web hosting which can be as little as $45 per year! Some additional costs include SSL security certificates which are approximately $120 per year as well as payment merchant accounts (i.e. PayPal, eWay etc).

With such a low start-up and on-going cost for an eCommerce website compared to starting up and running an actual shop front, you'd be mad to not go online instead - especially in today's world when 80% of the worlds population is too lazy to get off their computer chair and/or couch to purchase something. They want something, delivered to them and at a cheap/competitive price which you can definitely offer by cutting down your costs and running an online store.. That way if your small business becomes successful online and brings in constant/steady business you can then contemplate opening up a shop front as well.

If these small businesses are suffering and losing out to international online stores because their rent is so high etc. then this is definitely the way for them to compete with O/S competitors.

Ausralian shops cant compete with online, particularly overseas. Australian shops have to charge gst which supports our health and education systems, amongst the best in the world.Australian shops have to provide workers compensation and minimum wages for employees which many overseas countries do not.
Over time- if you cant beat them join them.The level playing field will bring us all down to the lowest common denominator.
It is sad that so many buyers look at what is cheapest now without considering the longer term consequences.
Some people just do not understand this. I personally like to SEE a product in person.

But i get hay fever its better that they burn all the trees and oil and stuff in china they are used to the fumes infact they seem to thrive on it !

reptile factory.com.au has the cheapest prices I've seen, added the same items to my cart from 3 other sites and reptile factory was much cheaper. A, planning on stocking up some supplies from there in the coming weeks.

hes also a rip off ^^^^
i mean trys to keep your money then ignore you

oh wait your in melbourne , thats where he is maybe thats why he doesnt do it to you , good luck though :)

hes also a rip off ^^^^
i mean trys to keep your money then ignore you

oh wait your in melbourne , thats where he is maybe thats why he doesnt do it to you , good luck though :)

um just had a look on there cos i need new bulbs, they are cheap as, but the shipping was $29!!!!! wth????????????

Yeah reptile factory has pretty steep postage.

He's a list of online stores I've used and recommend
herpshop - actually rang my mobile to talk about my enquiry.
the reptile store - done the job
reptile direct - repeat dealings
amazing amazon - fast postage

warrawong closed? they sell products? hugh i just thought they were a animal park well do you guys mean the one in sa

I buy my food and and quite a few bits and pieces from a local small store. The guy who works there is the owner, the other people who work there are his partner and mum. I have even bought a few thermostats off him. They are available cheaper from Australian online shops and cheaper again from overseas. The thing is I like that Im supporting a local business as well as the fact thats he owns and breeds many of them himself. I get to have a chat with him every time I go in, if there is ever a problem he fixes it. I have even been offered a loan of a product when I was in trouble. I have never seen a dirty cages or unhealthy animal in there and he is always willing to volunteer his experience and knowledge. Just this week I put another snake on lay by.

I get that everyone wants cheaper products and most of my enclosures I build or upgrade myself and a few other products (such as the heat radiators from pro herp) I buy elsewhere, but the thing is small business's are struggling as it is and if they dont get support then they will close. I would much rather pay a little extra and support them if not for the fact of the personal service, support and experience gained then just to support someone in the hobby/industry that is not unlike many people on here. I think it would be sad if they all close and all that is left is chains and online stores.

Last edited:
Yeah the Postage for reptile factory is quite alot but if you order alot it makes up for it. Amazing amazon are great, I get all my food supplies from them and I got my baby beardie there, I'd recommend them 100%.

the herp shop is heaps good there's an add for it on aps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back