'Child-eating' snake seized in Victoria

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I have to agree..... lets get rid of any NON-NATIVE exotic species of snake.....

Think about it...6 meteres long when fully grown.... I reckon these could kill and eat an Adult, not just a child......

"The DSE is urging anyone who has exotic reptiles to contact its customer service centre anonymously on 136 186 to arrange for the animals to be collected through a third party."

I actually thought that was a good article :shock:

Apart from the fact the 'seized' animals were 'surrendered' lol

There is a lot in that article that is a bit of a worry.

I am surprised that Fairfax have not run the story on The Age web site give that it is in VIctoria.

Once you get past the cheap head line there are some interesting quoteable bits:

While there is no official amnesty period on exotic reptiles, Ms Larner said people who voluntarily surrender their snakes will not be prosecuted.

"There's a long list of exotic reptiles we don't want to see here in Australia, and these snakes would be near the top of the list," DSE senior investigator Keith Larner said.

Four have been found roaming free in Melbourne and the DSE fears it is only a matter of time before they run wild

Yes I thought about half the story was pretty dodgy, the other half was a little suspect. :)
Would a 'small child' be about the size of a wallaby ?

It is in the Age now:

Giant python seized in Geelong March 31, 2006 - 12:18PM

A giant python capable of eating a small child when it grows to full size has been seized by Victorian authorities.

The Burmese python, now just over two metres long, was among one of the largest ever stashes of illegal exotic snakes surrendered to the Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE).

The snakes, including two adult and nine juvenile boa constrictors, were handed in last night by a Geelong-based reptile keeper - who was acting on behalf of the owners.

The snakes are likely to be destroyed.

The reptiles have a reputation for spreading disease and eating family pets and the DSE is keen to banish them from Victorian households.

"There's a long list of exotic reptiles we don't want to see here in Australia, and these snakes would be near the top of the list," DSE senior investigator Keith Larner said.

"These things have run amok in the United States, killing people's pets, getting in the waterways and eating alligators in Florida's Everglades National Park.

"People find out how big they grow, and how much they eat, and then dump them. This would be catastrophic here in Australia, as it is proving elsewhere."

Burmese pythons are native to Burma, Vietnam and Thailand and can grow up to six metres long and weigh 90kg.

Boa constrictors are native to South America and are the most commonly kept exotic snake in Australia.

Four have been found roaming free in Melbourne and the DSE fears it is only a matter of time before they run wild.

Snake owners risk fines of up to $110,000 or two years jail for harbouring illegal species.

While there is no official amnesty period on exotic reptiles, Ms Larner said people who voluntarily surrender their snakes will not be prosecuted.

The DSE is urging anyone who has exotic reptiles to contact its customer service centre anonymously on 136 186 to arrange for the animals to be collected through a third party.

Surfcop24 said:
"The DSE is urging anyone who has exotic reptiles to contact its customer service centre anonymously on 136 186 to arrange for the animals to be collected through a third party."

Is the third party unknowingly McDonalds or Hungry Jacks?? :p

Gilleni said:
I dissagree with them being destroyed... :(

And I also agree with you Gilleni. I suppose one thing that can be said for the people who do have these animals in their possession. You'd really want to watch who you talk to or where you keep these animals, because if they are found, not only will they most likely have their collection taken from them, but the exotics they keep will also be destroyed.

Moose you bastard, you told me you would look after them till I had their cages ready!

I knew I shouldn't have been trying to wean them onto pre-schoolers!! Damn it!

I took a photo of a fecal sample from one of them othe other day for some advice, but I was too scared to show them anywhere - those exotic craps are getting harder and harder to disguise! :p

blocks.jpg

And they do untold damage to our fragile environment :lol:

moosenoose said:
those exotic craps are getting harder and harder to disguise! :p

"People find out how big they grow, and how much they eat, and then dump them. This would be catastrophic here in Australia, as it is proving elsewhere."

Sounds like they'd be in the same boat as a Scrub python IMO :? It's all great when they are tiny cute things, or people have thought well in advance and planned for a very big and powerful animal. I'm yet to see the 5mtr scrubby that a local guy here keeps, it'll be interesting to say the least.

moosenoose said:

Sounds like they'd be in the same boat as a Scrub python IMO :? It's all great when they are tiny cute things, or people have thought well in advance and planned for a very big and powerful animal. I'm yet to see the 5mtr scrubby that a local guy here keeps, it'll be interesting to say the least.

A scrubby is a bit different as you can sell it on the open market and keep it legally. To have to create a large enclosure for an animal that is illegal is a risk in itself as people will tend to know that you have got it.

(We can discuss this further over a slice of pizza at the VHS meeting this evening.)

"Boa constrictors are native to South America and are the most commonly kept exotic snake in Australia."

I thought the Corn was the most commonly kept exotic snake in Australia.

:p

Hix

Heh, funny to see they changed their article! It's not just the title which changed. I suppose they don't want a slander case. I heard about this on the radio this morning and thought I was hearing poorly when they said that the snakes were both siezed and voluntarily surrendered, then I realised I was listening to the story of a jouralist and thought better of it.

ON channel 7 news the length of the snake had grown to 3 meters.... It will probably over 10 meters by tomorrow morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back