Childrens Heating URGENT have to know by friday!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oenpelli-Girl

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in the top end and i am getting a Childrens Python. I am keeping it outside and there will be sun probaly most of the day my Question is, do i need a heat mat or lights? what about night? if anyone can help me it would be great!!:)

P.s for them who don't know Childrens Pythons Occur naturaly here.
p.s.s sorry abut the spelling:oops:

Last edited:
also i am thinking of calling my Childrens Python Bindi-hey im 12 and i watch it cuz my bro likes it wierd hey?but anyway does anyone think that is a stupid name if so anymore suggestions?

sorry 1 more Q

i don't know if anyone has seen a NT permit to keep wildlife but the last thing it
says:please be advised that the wildlife mustbe obtained lawfully (i get that) please attach copies of your proof of
purchase ie signed letter, receipt. but i havent even brought it it also wants the company name and it to be signed by the person thats gonna sell it to me

Hi Oenpelli-Girl,

I'm not sure if keeping your childrens outside is the best idea, because you won't be able to regulate the temperature (remember excessive heat will kill a snake before cold will). Also, unless the enclosure is perfectly secure, there's also a risk of some other critter knocking the enclosure about and then maybe eating or killing your snake. Wild reptiles, and maybe other animals too, may also pass diseases on to your snake.

Even tho childrens may occur naturally where you are, they aren't confined to an enclosure, so can seek sun, shade, warmth and anything else they need when they are in the wild. When they are in captivity, they lose the ability to move around to help to maintain their body temperature.

Also, I'm not sure about night time temps where you are, but my childreni have 24 hour heat with a 31 degree hot spot, so unless you can guarantee that your snake will have those kind of temps, then your snake could have issues with digestion, which can lead regurgitation or the rodent rotting in your snakes gut, which can cause even more problems.

If you can post some pictures of where you plan to put your snake, maybe someone with a bit more knowledge on keeping childrens outside can have some input.

Sorry, can't help you out with the NT permit specifically, but keeping good records will mean that you won't get fined, will minimise any chance of your animals being seized, and it also means that you know what you've got and where it came from if you ever want to breed.

Good luck and I hope you and Bindi are very happy together!!!

I think that Bindi is a perfectly good name :) Bindi is my little mac's name. I named her that cos she had a little red spot on her head, which has faded as she has grown :)

I am keeping it outside and there will be sun probaly most of the day

This will cause issues with overheating, pythons spend a lot of time out of direct sunlight.

I would really suggest keeping it indoors.

I live in Sydney and lost a spotted python to overheating when we had an unexpected 45+ deg day (anyone remember new years day a few years ago?) anyway, I actually had no other source of heat on at the time and it still got too hot for him, keep in mind I am in NSW which doesn't usually get that hot and you are in an area which has more hot days than us. I also lost my 2 blueys which were kept outside in an open air enclosure not even a tank.
My point is I would NOT keep it directly in the sun, especially where you are. Its not worth the risk. Buy a low wattage heat mat (10w) and keep it inside.

hi oenpelli girl. I cant really help coz i dont have snakes but the advice already given makes sense to me. Remember that in the wild snakes can choose to get away from the heat by hiding under huge rocks or in deep tunnels. The temp can be much lower than what you can replicate with a couple of hollow logs or small rocks in an outdoor enclosure. By the way, i watch bindi too and i'm 42!!!

I'd say go for indoors.As for Bindi well we bought a 4 year old BHP and our 5 year old daughter called her that from watching Bindi Irwin with her BHP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back