childrens problems

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt89

Reaction score
new snake, she ate a few days after i got her, she has stopped eating. i have had her for about a month now and she hasnt eaten for about 3 weeks now.
Any idea's on how to coach her to feed?

I had loads of issues when I first got mine too. If all your temps and things are okay then try scenting the food. Someone on here told me to put a day old quail in the bag with the mouse whilst defrosting. Mine hasn't refused a feed since, so if there's no problem with your set up then that might be worth a try.

A few weeks without a feed is no problem...Try again in a week or so with little disturbance...If she doesnt eat then try again in another week..Night time has worked for me on some fussy eaters before...All we need is just a little patience...

she is a childrens python, she is about 3 months old, has a really good eating history up until i got her, ive got her on a heat mat while im finishing her enclosure.
she is still in the same tank she has been in since day one! the only thing that has changed is new people.
she is currently eating velvet rats, which is what the breeder has been feeding her.
Someone has recomended getting a metal skewer and mushing the rats brain up to scent it??

How often are you handling her? What is the temperature and the enclosure dimensions?

My Childrens has never had problems eating but I have heard that if their encloser is too big they may go off feeding.
You could try rubbing the mouse on a lizard to scent it.
Hope this helps
Basilisk

she is a childrens python, she is about 3 months old, has a really good eating history up until i got her, ive got her on a heat mat while im finishing her enclosure.
she is still in the same tank she has been in since day one! the only thing that has changed is new people.
she is currently eating velvet rats, which is what the breeder has been feeding her.
Someone has recomended getting a metal skewer and mushing the rats brain up to scent it??

This is husbandry related as most non feeding problems are! You will find that your heating is not upto scratch and dropping during the night to levels not accepable to hatchling Antaresia.
As for a 3 month old Ant feeding on velvet rats i would think not, velvet mice yes but a velvet rat in size is to big for any 3 month old Ant to eat.
We breed Ants and find that if you give them the same conditions as the breeder has you will not have a problem with them.
Leave it in the container it come with fix the husbandry, leave the snake alone for a week and then offer a feed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back