Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaza72

Reaction score
Hi all i just bought my first childrens python. Was reading in forums that you shouldnt handle them too much. Been trying to tell my 10 year old daughter what i been reading but she has been handling the snake up to 4 times a day Sunny the snake does not seem to mind her handling him at all is this ok for her to keep doing this or should i stop her from doing it so much.

As for the click clack container i just bought one with a push on lid can they really push the lids off them while they are so little. How long do i need to keep the snake in this container for?

I have lizards and turtles so want to make sure i do everything right for little sunny the childrens python. I dont want to hurt him

Cheers shaza

Hey Shaza, welcome to APS.
Yes, you should not handle your new python at all until it is feeding regularly for you. 4 times a day is just crazy and will probably stress the poor little thing out that much it will go off its tucker...
Leave Sunny alone until he has a few feeds for you. Put him up high where your daughter cant reach or something.
If the lid of your container snaps on tight you shouldnt have a problem. And you could upgrade to a bigger container or small enclosure once he is roughly double the length of the container you have him in now.

Bill.

Last edited:
We have a perfectly wonderful childrens python, very friendly and has never bitten but we only handle about every 2 or 3 days and leave him well alone for a minimum of 2 days after a feed. He is still perfectly friendly if left alone for a week when we go away. I have a 6 year old who I had to really struggle with to get him to leave it alone, but he has settled down and now gets a lot of enjoyment from nightly reports as to the snakes whereabouts in the enclosure. He's also a great help at cleaning time. It's better for the snake to limit handling time.

Thanks

Thanks for that i will do that. Another question Sunny ahs been eating well at the pet shop i bought him from and he is due for a feed on wednesday should i take him out of his container and feed him in another container. If he dosnt eat off me should i leave it in different container with him for a hr then check. Once he has eaten it should i put him back in his original container.

Thanks in advance shaza

I have been told by a breeder that when he feeds his snakes he just puts the mouse/rat in the container at the warm end and leaves it, next day its gone. His theory is if you dangle the prey infront of the snake they may associate your hand with feeding so when you want to get it out to handle it, it will go you. Whereas if you just drop it in there and let the snake find it himself there is no connection between you and feedtime. I've done this a few times with mine and it works a treat.

i feed mine( 4 months old) in its living container with no problems. she doesnt associate my hand with food at all when i get her out...i have my pinkie rat warm and dangle it in front of her...she usually has a taste then hits it straight away...if she doesnt i just tap her on the nose with the pinkie...(as if to annoy her)..that works a treat...its just a matter of trial n era...every snakes different...just do what works for yours...

im getting a childrens to and from what i've read handle once or twice a day but what for about 2-1 days after feeding until u hold it

From Annie
p.s i've read 3 books on directly on childrens and lots of stuff on reptiles and of this forum!

Good onya Oenpelli girl! it's good to see your getting right in to the information on your snake of choice. You will find out so much more once you have the snake and the information you research will make for happy healthy animal

Leave your snake for a settle-in period. This is usually between one and two weeks, and then try to feed the snake in a separate container. If it doesn't, then put it back into it's original container and wait a day or two before attempting to feed again. There are threads previously about getting a pricky snake to feed (just do search). If it does feed, put it into it's own container and leave it alone for a day at least (between one and three or so days), then you can begin handling it.

Since it has already been handled, then it shouldn't be bitey or too stressed.

However, when I got my first snake (and before I did any research), I handled her from the word go, fed her the same day, handled her again an hour or so later, and she's never bitten, never been stressed, never been flighty/panicky. Almost everytime I'm home, she's with me. When I go to bed, she goes into her enclosure, and when I wake up, I get her again. Now that I know what I'm doing, I'd never do it with any other snake, but I think it's much more about the individual and the personality of the snake than anything else. Some snakes can handle regular handling, others can't.

[Some snakes can handle regular handling, others can't. /QUOTE]

not that i have much experience but i found my spotted to settle very quickly an she was handled every day when we first got her and appeared to be quite ok with it. my bredli on the other hand which i must say i got as a yearling is always a little nervous when first out but will settle down quite quickly therefore she needed more time in the beginning to settle in

i think it is a matter of continual assessment of your mate and how they are reacting as to what you can do with them within reason of course LOL

I have a ceramic heat globe plus a moonlight heat lamp for night time all plugged into a thermostat my temp stays between 28 - 30 degrees . just to update everyone my little snake has been feeding good. Handling well he has never been stressed or been look like he is oing ot bite. He hasnt had a shed yet but i am sure it will be soon. How long do i have to keep him in the small container for.
cheers shaza

hay Shaza you should keep him in the small container till he is about one year old or until he dose not freak out in a bigger space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back