Christinus marmoratus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Variegata

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So cheap, so common, but so hard to find for sale. What's with that?

I did a search on here and it came up with two for sale threads, in the last three or four years or something. But they're only like $35 each and from what I can tell really common in captivity.

So why so hard to find?

Really common in captivity? They may have a high abundance in the wild throughout south of the mainland and are cheap to buy but I personally would not say they are 'really' common in captivity. Victoria and South Australia do not include them on the permit list, therefore making it easy for them to be brought into the trade simply by people pulling them off trees.

As I understand, Victorian pet shops have a rather outstanding track record for poaching and selling of the species. I would estimate that no less than 60% of captive animals originated from the wild...illegally. Also, kids in the suburbs would likely grab them and throw them in a tank with no clue of how to properly look after them. I suppose a large handful of people would actually have a true passion for the species and are dedicated to researching and breeding them in captivity but apart from that, I would say they're a novelty, beginner's species only because they don't need a permit (in some states) and are cheap to buy.

Regardless of pricing, the species isn't a simple, piss-weak-to-care-for animal. Being a Gekkonine, they have large requirements for calcium, especially during growth and reproduction as well as tolerances to extreme temperature fluctuation and low humidity. Females in particular need to be watched during the warmer months (if males are present) and you need to ensure optimal calcium reserves are present within the females in the form of pouches parallel to the throat and gular; these obviously storing calcium.

As said above, only select people would have true interest as to say the least, they aren't considered a 'prize' or ' interesting' species. No way can a Christinus match the personality, size, market pricing and simple uniqueness of a Nephrurus or Saltuarius. The species cops the sharp end of the stick when in retrospect, it's just those in captivity who are restricted and 'unappealing'. I have been watching them seasonally for quite a few years now in the field and they are nothing short of amusing and unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back