Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zicarus

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Ive done a lot of reading about click-clacks and have also read the DIY on it as well, but what my gf and i were thinking of doing was building 2x small vivs i have read that a size of no bigger than 300x300x150, we were thinking of melamine all sides with a lockable hinged top or front with a perspex window, proper heating mat or cord small round plastic vents a hide, water bowl and also climbs.
Not sure about lighting as the plastic ones don't have any but might be an option to incorporate a low powered frosted down light.
These would be something we would keep because im sure in time we will want to get some more when we have the experience and could use them again, and we don't have a problem in building a small, medium and final adult viv to suite their needs.
Regulating heat and humidity in a smaller area is harder from what ive seen/read would a set up like this help to control it a bit better? We both don't like seeing any animal in a basic cage and have seen quite a few on the net where they have nothing but a water bowl and ask why they are so evil, i think what im trying to say is we want to give our snakes a nice environment from start to finish, i do understand that some people have quite a few snakes and the up keep would be very difficult so i don't want to offend anyone with this post, with us only having 2 we can go a little overboard and spoil them rotten :)
I have a rough sketch ive been working on i will try and post it as soon as i transfer it to the computer and neaten it up.
Cheers...

Click clack environment makes them feel safe and gets them feeding like champs... Enclosure size should be added with growth of snake

Hatchlings are defensive and scared, keeping them in click clacks makes perfect sense, it gives them security, a small hide at either end and water is all they need. And something to climb on if they are arboreal.
Too big a space and they will feel threatened and too much out in the open, this is a built in safety mechanism I'm guessing, in the wild they would have to be aware of predators like birds, lizards etc.

Once they outgrow the click clack, then you can move them into bigger accommodation.

So are you saying a 300x300x150 is too big for 6 month roughly 40-60 cm long going by size when handling him last he will be 7 months when we get him home.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The thing with click-clacks is they are plastic and alot easier to clean then a melamine enclosure with silicone edges. If ya were doing it to insulated ect. you could always just build a hatchie rack system system of just 2 tubs, that way they stay warm and you have the ease of cleaning or removing the tub without any dramas.

Rick

.3 x .3 x .15 is fine for a small snake, but the type matters. If a carpet, you really need climbing opportunities. My babies are kept in click clacks with mesh to climb on, a water bowl and a tablet box as a hide. It is cheap, easy to clean and easy to replace soiled hides, etc. In a small (7 litre) click clack, the heat profile is fine. I throw a cloth over it in winter and then the youngsters eat even better, as they love the darker enclosure. A small enclosure will work if you have it set out well, but something that size has to be heated by a heat pad, which can be a bit tricky to control and install. Another advantage to click clacks is being able to set them on top of a pad. Substrate is also a consideration. I keep my babies on paper towel and adults on newspaper with shavings. The latter is a bit too drying for Darwin youngsters and can lead to poor sloughing. However, if a woma or BHP, they love to burrow in the shavings and don't need the extra humidity. In short, it depends on what you are keeping and how you set things up.

Sory the snake we are getting is a diamond and a bredli.
I know we have what seem to experienced herps as silly questions but just want to to the very best from day one.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I want to try and get a quick video of him when we are handling him, he is so hypo and curious about everything around him, and tries to go from my gf and i. Being so active im taking it as he is in good health and its so hard to get him back in his click clack keeps climbing back up yr arm i get the impression he really likes being around people...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back