'click clacks'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phoebe

Reaction score
I just read the sticky 'guide to building a click clack' thread and just had a quick question.

I know that in a snake enclosure it is necessary to have a gradual temp gradient. By placing a heat mat under 1/3 (or half or whatever) of the container I would have thought that that would make one end really hot and the other too cool with no in between temperature. Is that what happens or am I just being naive? (I have not used a heat mat before)

I ask this because I will be getting a month old spotted python in a couple of months and I was going to put him straight into a larger enclosure (a 2ft glass tank..which will be insulated). I'm thinking now because he will be so tiny this may not be a good option right now. I have not had any experience with hatchlings before as my other half and I bought our carpet python as an adult.

The mat will be up one end so there will be a warm spot, not hot, and temps should gradually taper off away from the heat mat making a cool end with a gradiant in the middle.

You are better off imo using a small container for a hatchie that small ( like a shoelace lol) in something around 2l in size and them when the snake gets some size on him put it in the bigger tank.

That's a very good point and it can be an issue, Phoebe. By putting a tile over part of the base you can diffuse some of the heat, and to some degree there will be a reduction in heat at the edge of the mat, but often there is a very hot spot and thena cool end without much middle ground. One of the problems with click clacks I guess.

I would have thought that that would make one end really hot and the other too cool with no in between temperature. .

Not if you use a thermostat, IMO never use a heatmat without one and have the probe between the mat and the bottom of the tub, that way it will keep the temp pretty much what it's set at.

Not if you use a thermostat, IMO never use a heatmat without one and have the probe between the mat and the bottom of the tub, that way it will keep the temp pretty much what it's set at.
I agree with the necessity of a thermostat, but you should also independently check the temperature ranges actually being produced with a thermometer. Don't just rely on what the thermostat dial reads.

I've been thinking long and hard about this. Maybe I could section off a small area in the 2ft tank and instead of using a heat mat I could use a ceramic heat globe (which is what I was intending on using in the first place). As the snake gets bigger I can then increase the size of the sectioned off area.

I already have a thermostat and I am going to get a digital thermometer. Actually I'll get two. One for each side.

I was thinking of buying a heat mat and just testing it out before the snake comes..but they are expensive..

Thanks for all your help so far by the way :)

i wouldn't use a ceramic in a plastic tub, 1. to hot 2. you'll melt it. 3. unless it's covered you'll burm the python. low wattage heatmats don't cost that much

i wouldn't use a ceramic in a plastic tub, 1. to hot 2. you'll melt it. 3. unless it's covered you'll burm the python. low wattage heatmats don't cost that much
she has a 2 foot tank and she's planning on sectioning that off and using a ceramic heat instead of a heat mat in the 2 foot glass tank.

Last edited:
she has a 2 foot tank and she's planning on sectioning that off and using a ceramic heat instead of a heat mat in the 2 foot glass tank.

I don't think that sounds like a good idea, a 2 foot tank? is that a fish tank? are you planning on still using a click clack in there? how would you be able to provide a temp zone if you are sectioning it off? a ceramic globe will heat the 2 foot tank on it own so if your making the area smaller you risk overheating. ethier use the tank on its own setup the right way OR use a click clack with a heatmat :)

I don't think that sounds like a good idea, a 2 foot tank? is that a fish tank? are you planning on still using a click clack in there? how would you be able to provide a temp zone if you are sectioning it off? a ceramic globe will heat the 2 foot tank on it own so if your making the area smaller you risk overheating. ethier use the tank on its own setup the right way OR use a click clack with a heatmat :)
I agree. lol.

search on ebay...you can usually get a small heat mat for under $25 including postage...also heat cords are similar...similar price....If you get a 15 watt heat cord you can always use it for more hatchlings if you get addicted and buy more...or you could use it to supplement heat for either of the pythons in winter.

As the others indicate...if you put the click clack in the large enclosure you wont get the gradient heat you need...the click clack will all be 1 temp. Similar deal if you section it off...

and being a hatchling in a larger enclosure..they will find their way into any nook and cranny...I am guessing it will get behind the insulation....my Darwin when it was 10 months old managed to climb under the insulation of my old enclosure and then it is hard to get them out. A darwin juvenile is a lot bigger than an Antaresia hatcho.

+1 :)

click clack and a heat cord.. soooo cheap and easy. i moved my 10 month into a 2 foot fish tank, didnt like it at all, pretty inconvenient and wasnt easy to access, so i moved it into a bigger tub :)

Ok I've decided I will just go for the click clack option. I suppose if it works for others it will work for me right :p I think I am just thinking into it a little more than necessary haha.

Thanks for the help! :)

...I was thinking of buying a heat mat and just testing it out before the snake comes..but they are expensive...

You probable already got these sorted, no? ;)

...but a 14W heat mat cost me $16! It used to get up to 40º-50ºC inside warm end box (depends if I had moss inside) and a thermostat to fix this cost me $20. - It all now works a treat!

I was looking into getting a spotted or stymsons etc. and I was told, they being desert snakes, they like heat from underneath, not from the top as Jungles or GTPs etc. (I started with a Woma in this set up).

A breeder advised me that a heat lamp needs to be hanging some 35cm from basking tile, (plus length of bulb/lamp) you don't get that high in a plastic tub.

and being a hatchling in a larger enclosure..they will find their way into any nook and cranny...I am guessing it will get behind the insulation....my Darwin when it was 10 months old managed to climb under the insulation of my old enclosure and then it is hard to get them out. A darwin juvenile is a lot bigger than an Antaresia hatcho.

I would think one puts the insulation around the outside of the tank... at least that is what I did. The only thing it should be able to get between at worst would be the substrate and the bottom of the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back