Climbing Branches for an Enclosure Help...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KathandStu

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering where people suggest I get/find/buy some branches for my python's enclosure. I would prefer branches to dowl only because it looks better (IMO). The enclosure is 900mm high, 900mm wide & 500mm deep & made of solid timber so I can screw hook & eyes into the walls & branches to attach them. Also what is the best method of preparing the branches (bleach, cleaning, sand-papering etc)?

Thanks,

Kath & Stu

Just get some freshly fallen branches from anywhere near you, cut them to size, and scrub them with a diluted bleach solution.

You can use the solution for when its time to clean them too. Just rinse them well, then let them dry in direct sunlight.

Howdy Kath&Stu,

Dowel or plumbers pipe is good for reasons of cleanliness, but it seems you would prefer a more natural look. Make sure the branches are dead, and have been for some time so as to reduce the chances of hidden nasties. Go for some without bark, and to clean I use one of those hand held steam cleaners. Using forked branches you should be able to securely wedge it within the confines of the enclosure, or as you said, tapped eyelet screws/bolts also work well. IMO the natural look is a lot of work so I go for the modern "less is more" approach to decorating :wink:

i use permoxin 10ml to 400ml ratio spray it on heavily and let sit for an hour or so then soak the logs
in a tub of water overnight. ive heard that the easiest method is to soak your logs in salt warter for a
couple of days then hose them down. basically any dog/cat tick treatment from any petshop is
perfectly fine just make sure the logs have been rinsed really well.

chow mate

There is a solution in Pet Shops.. ."Fido's Fre-itch"
... I havent used it yet..But have been recommended it....

Thanks everyone. I live in the city so branches of the right sort are somewhat hard to find so when I head down to Kiama to visit reletives I plan on looking! Wish me luck! Our poor little guy loves to climb but all we have for him at the moment is a wrought-iron & timber DVD rack (& Stu will want that back at some point!):p Thanks again for your help.

Kath

Everyone has given really good advice, but make sure it has been dead for a while.
Once i used a branch fresh from a tree that had boarers in it, they didn't just take a liking to branch but also got a taste for the wood the cage was made of. Luckily i became aware of it early. But nothing like a nasty suprise to put the willy's up ya. Not a problem for the snake just the cage.....
Good luck as some good climbing area's can make a big difference to your pythons happiness and well being.

I soak my branches in a mild bleach solution and hot water... then I let them dry and place them in a plastic garbage and give the inside of the bag a 2 sec spray of "top of decent' and leave it tied up for 24hrs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back