Coastal Carpet Python Beginners Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doddsz

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been always fascinated by snakes, and its about time I should get one as a pet! I have never owned a snake, or rarely handle snakes, but i know not to grab from the head, and most rules for handling snakes to not tick them off.
Two snakes I have in mind is the Coastal Carpet python or the murray darling ! ill be buying a snake in the next few weeks down at amazing amazons, im wondering if im making the right choice between these snakes!
Im still looking for help with the terrarium, because coastals love to climb.
And are those two snakes good handling and temperament snakes because i have a younger and older brothers that would love to handle snakes to ! Thankyou !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,
I have been always fascinated by snakes, and its about time I should get one as a pet! I have never owned a snake, or rarely handle snakes, but i know not to grab from the head, and most rules for handling snakes to not tick them off.
Two snakes I have in mind is the Coastal Carpet python or the murray darling ! ill be buying a snake in the next few weeks down at amazing amazons, im wondering if im making the right choice between these snakes!
Im still looking for help with the terrarium, because coastals love to climb.
And are those two snakes good handling and temperament snakes because i have a younger and older brothers that would love to handle snakes to ! Thankyou !

Welcome to the wonderful world of snakes!

Which snake is right for your first snake depends on what you want long term. There are many different choices that will be advocated by many people as good choices. This is something you will have to look after for possibly decades so don't jump into getting something you aren't sure you love!

Both of those choices are fine choices. An MD is just a tad smaller than a coastal when full grown.

Are you planning on a hatchling? If so you will be after a click-clack initially for housing. A perfect example is demonstrated in the noteworthy threads.

:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Doddsz

Welcome to the wonderful world of snakes!

Which snake is right for your first snake depends on what you want long term. There are many different choices that will be advocated by many people as good choices. This is something you will have to look after for possibly decades so don't jump into getting something you aren't sure you love!

Both of those choices are fine choices. An MD is just a tad smaller than a coastal when full grown.

Are you planning on a hatchling? If so you will be after a click-clack initially for housing. A perfect example is demonstrated in the noteworthy threads.

:)

Sweet thanks man ! im gunna go for the coastal, they just seem like beautiful snakes ! and yes most likely hatchling or a little older ! and are they aggressive?

Sweet thanks man ! im gunna go for the coastal, they just seem like beautiful snakes ! and yes most likely hatchling or a little older ! and are they aggressive?

No worries.

Not considered 'aggressive' at all but any young snake has the potential to be more defensive. It's a case by case basis.

My little Coastal has only ever struck out once and that was when my other half grabbed him not realising Id fed him minutes before :/ otherwise my kids can hold him any time without incident.

There are some beautiful examples and you will get good use out of a click clack before having to worry about a larger enclosure so plenty of time to research :)

Don't forget to post some pics when you get him/her. We're a bunch of sticky-beaks around here :D

sorry for high jacking this thread but does anyone know the temperatures and the breeding time for coastals`

Thanks man so much ! ill look into the click clacks and research more man ! thankyou ! i think ninabuddha needs some ! just ask ripreston he knows his stuff !

sorry for high jacking this thread but does anyone know the temperatures and the breeding time for coastals`

I keep mine at the hot end 30 and cool end 25. This is about the usual I believe and what was recommended by my rep vet.

As for breeding, your best to see the articles by Doc Roc posted on Southern cross reptiles.

I'm no expert by any means, though there are plenty on here who can help too! I'm just a gal who can research well :)

I keep mine at the hot end 30 and cool end 25. This is about the usual I believe and what was recommended by my rep vet.

As for breeding, your best to see the articles by Doc Roc posted on Southern cross reptiles.

I'm no expert by any means, though there are plenty on here who can help too! I'm just a gal who can research well :)

Thank you, is the breeding season sept to dec?

Thank you, is the breeding season sept to dec?

I'm no breeder so couldn't go into detail for you, but the breeding prep should start from cooling in autumn-winter then mating in spring once they come back up to temp in spring. You'll need to simulate the right temps at the right times to get things going :)

I'm no breeder so couldn't go into detail for you, but the breeding prep should start from cooling in autumn-winter then mating in spring once they come back up to temp in spring. You'll need to simulate the right temps at the right times to get things going :)

that makes sense thank you

My first snake was a Coastal. I liked the size and colours but was also a bit worried about temperament. I found a good reputable breeder and let him know that it was my first snake and that i was after something with a good temperament. He said that he had some that were nice and he sorted me out true to his word. So i guess if u find a good reputable breeder and let them know that it is your first snake they should be able to give u one of the friendlier individuals. It worked for me anyway.

Doddsz

My first snake was a Coastal. I liked the size and colours but was also a bit worried about temperament. I found a good reputable breeder and let him know that it was my first snake and that i was after something with a good temperament. He said that he had some that were nice and he sorted me out true to his word. So i guess if u find a good reputable breeder and let them know that it is your first snake they should be able to give u one of the friendlier individuals. It worked for me anyway.

Sweet thanks !
wait so you buy snakes from actual breeders?
is there any coastal carpet breeders on the web!? or do you get them from a store..?

There's breeders on this site. Just look in the For Sale section.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

My nephew's first snake was a coastal. He was 14.
She is not only beautiful but has the temperament to match.

Breeder V Shop - as with any animal, you may get over charged when buying from a pet shop and they usually do not have the history of the animal.
A breeder will be able to supply you with the animals records and you may even see the parents.
The above is just my opinion ​because I am against animals been sold in pet stores.

My first snake was a coastal they are very well tamed if you raise them right but dont forget about how big they get they arent the smallest of all snakes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi there! Sorry to chime, but I have a question!
How do you monitor/manage those temperatures in your enclosure? I have a taller enclosure for my Darwin x coastal and he's only a year old. It also gets quite hot at the moment where I am, so I have to turn the heating off altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there! Sorry to chime, but I have a question!
How do you monitor/manage those temperatures in your enclosure? I have a taller enclosure for my Darwin x coastal and he's only a year old. It also gets quite hot at the moment where I am, so I have to turn the heating off altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Calibrate a thermostat to switch off when the temp hits 32 on the basking spot. The cool end is generally room temp. So either aircon or fans set up properly can lower the room temp. In general I don't care what the lower temp is. But that's after a few years of monitoring my house rooms and enclosure temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back