Coastal carpet python not feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hallediez

Reaction score
I got a coastal carpet python in July and couldn't stop him from eating at first. He grew so quickly I had to get him a bigger tank. He ate the first two weeks in the new tank and winter hit and he stopped eating. It's now been two and a half months since his last feed, I try every week. He usually has a very mild temperament and has never bitten me. Yesterday he snapped at me 10-15 times so I tried to feed him again, presuming he was hungry. He would strike at the mouse but wouldn't hold onto it and eat it, and now today I noticed the skin on his neck is sunken in. He has a large water bowl on the cool side of the tank but when I misted his cage today he started licking water of the sides of the cage and the plants. I'm extremely worried about him he is my baby, he's about 10 months old. His temperatures are regulated, has a warm and cool side of the tank with a heating light, a heating rock and a heating pad and plants and domes to hide in on both sides. He had no problem drinking or eating before but now I'm getting worried. Any help is appreciated xoxo

ive been told that cuting a rats tail off on a diagonal angle and place it down the snakes thoat helps because due to the hairs they can't throw it back up its a good way to get hatchies to start eating if they don't eat in the first few months. i would try this.

Put him back into the smaller enclosure and leave him without any handling for a couple of weeks. Offer food again and if he doesn't take it leave him and try again later. Main thing is not to disturb or handle him at all except for water changes and offering food.

I got a coastal carpet python in July and couldn't stop him from eating at first. He grew so quickly I had to get him a bigger tank. He ate the first two weeks in the new tank and winter hit and he stopped eating. It's now been two and a half months since his last feed, I try every week. He usually has a very mild temperament and has never bitten me. Yesterday he snapped at me 10-15 times so I tried to feed him again, presuming he was hungry. He would strike at the mouse but wouldn't hold onto it and eat it, and now today I noticed the skin on his neck is sunken in. He has a large water bowl on the cool side of the tank but when I misted his cage today he started licking water of the sides of the cage and the plants. I'm extremely worried about him he is my baby, he's about 10 months old. His temperatures are regulated, has a warm and cool side of the tank with a heating light, a heating rock and a heating pad and plants and domes to hide in on both sides. He had no problem drinking or eating before but now I'm getting worried. Any help is appreciated xoxo

If he started eating in the new tank I would leave him in that. I noticed you said its winter, so that would mean your not in Aus.
Some snakes will not eat in winter even with a climate controlled environment, the best thing to offer maybe once a month until spring starts and the weather starts becoming warm or you may just be wasting food.
The striking without holding on is a defensive action, is his new tank all glass?
Pythons will also rarely drink water that has been standing for more than 24 hrs so should be fully replaced every second day.
The loose skin may be due to an upcoming shed rather then dehydration, how long has it been since his last shed? (an upcoming shed may also be why he is not eating)
Heating rocks should also be used with care as some here in Aus are notorious for failing and overheating in spots which may hurt your python.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back