Coastal Handling After Move

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

allsfairinvaness

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've recently been given a 3 year old coastal carpet python (I had him as a snakeling until he was about a year old then was away for a few years). We moved him a few days ago, enclosure and all, and I'd like to start handling him. But he's been hiding for most of that time and everytime I've opened up the enclosure to handle him he recoils and tries to either go back into his hide box or entangle around the branch. I don't want to stress him out too much - do you think the move is contributing to the shyness?

Could well be! A lot of pythons don't move well. If this a change in its behaviour related to a move the best thing you can do from here is leave it alone for 2 weeks in a room with minimal traffic and away from other pets. How was it transported and has there been any other changes aside from the move?

We moved him in a cloth bag in a ventilated carry case - He was in there for less than an hour, and has spent most of his time since in hiding. Yesterday he started to come out but is still sticking pretty close to his hiding rock and in corners. It's the same enclosure that he was in before, but I guess new sights/smells might be making him shy? He isn't being aggressive, just not into outside stimuli at all. I'll leave him alone for 2 weeks and see how he goes. The previous owner hasn't been handling him too much in the past month, that might have something to do with it?

Yeah Gotta agree with your last point....

If the Previous owner hasnt handled him much, then he will be frightened and not used to humans entering his enclosure.... he he..

Just leave him for a couple of weeks and then slowly introduce yourself to him again.... Not Literally,,!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back