Coastal Questions?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Reed

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys Ive got a big question to ask, well a few?
First...Do you guys find that your snakes dont come out as offten even with the heat on around the 30c? For some reason my coastal just pokes her head out of her hidee hole then sits there???
Could be just mine but in summer she was out by 4pm just kicken back?

My next question is today when removeing my coastal (venom)
so I could clean her home, I had to get her out but once I got her she was very cold, mind you my hands where warm but she was just so cold???
My heat lamp is on 24/7 now and is up close to 30 to 33 deg.
Is this a normal thing for this time of year, she seems happy but id really like to make sure theres nothen extra I can do to make life better?
My temp gauge stuffed up last week so Im heading out tomorrow to get a new one but I might get more/extra stuff if anyone has any ideas

some times my coastals stay out all day and other times they stay in there hides . as long as u have a hide in the basking area and one in the cool[ other end of the enclosure] then the snake will move to what ever one , when it feels the need too.

yeah mate mine have been really inactive for about the last 2 months or so. Still eating and still happy though. Even though the heat is on 24/7 they can prob still tell what season it is and they slow down accordingly.

Ok thanks guys, least its normal. Im thinking of upgradeing my heat lamp to a 150wt as ive only got a 50wt

Venom and other critters take input from their surrounds. I believe that light and the amount of daylight V's dark also trigger dormant periods.

Have not seen anything to support this, but people who grow certain herbs hydroponically, and manipulate growth periods and when the plant goes into bud, by arterficially altering the sunshine to darkness ratio.

If the same is applied to our herps then we could manipulate breeding seasons so that the marked does not flood and drought according to natural cycles.

Again I have not really seen anything to confirm this theory.

Also my costal hatchie spends 75% ofd its time in its hide, and the reast on a perch at the cooler end of the enclosure.

Didn't read to see if this was answered.... But the 'feeling' cold thing can be a number of things...

1) Yes - you are much warmer (close to 35 - 37'C at surface)... If the ambient temperature in your house is 25'C then that 10'C difference is very much felt.

2) When you touch something that is a 'conductor' (ie metals etc) they feel very cold, even though their ambient temperature is similar to the room. It is because they're efficient at removing heat from you. This isn't to dissimilar to a snake which is also very efficient at removing heat from the surrounding areas. Because they're so good at removing heat you feel 'cold'...

There's a number of places on your body which provide loads of heat - I was told that the back of your neck is a good one.

As for hiding... My coastals all hide during the day, and despite the very cold nights (nearly 17'C at the moment) they seem to come out. Mine have no heat other than natural - however, I live in the tropics :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back