Coco peat how to make it safe for snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainbow

Reaction score
Hey everyone just wanting to know how to use coco peat so it's completely safe for my snake

im currently using newspaper I don't like the look of it at all I've bought some coco peat but it has a rather strong smell to it It's a reptile brand one I think it's called jungle peat not quiet sure I chucked the wrapper out its in a bag now

just wondering if having somthing with a strong smell would affect the snakes lungs or give it a respiratory infection of some kind

does it need to be washed or boiled and dried out before use I'm thinking that when the heat mat will go on it it will increase the smell of the coco peat as the enclosure smells like newspaper at the moment I'm thinking of changing to white printer paper to avoid the newspaper smell or isn't this kind of thing an issue I feed my snake out of its cage so ingesting the coco peat isn't an issue just wanting to know if the snake livin in a constant environment with the coco peate smell will be harmful for her health? I just want my snake to have the best life sorry if this is cowed elsewhere on the forum I've been searching for this answer all over and haven't found it

thankyou

rainbow :)

I have reciently converted to coco peat for my Morelia, I was also concerned about the smell and how it would affect the snakes especially when heated. I tested it for a month with one of my snakes. No problems arrised, once it dries completely it loses most of its smell. I now have it in all my enclosures, great for absorption and spot cleans, and eliminating smells.
If its a reptile product it should be okay to use. I haven't had a problem as of yet six months later:)

Coco peat is just finely mulched coconut husk, and if its a brand specifically aimed at use in the reptile hobby, I doubt there is nothing to worry about. If it was a brand intended for horticultural use, the addition of fertilisers would be an issue, but as its for use with reptiles, this shouldn't be the case. If you are worries about the smell, you could rinse it with water a couple of times, squeezing the majority of water Out. Also, if you're worried about the hygiene of the product, you could run it through the microwave to kill any potential nasties in it. In my opinion though, it will be fine as is.

i just used to wet it spread it out with my hands and let it fully dry outside in the sun, it was great for my stimmy and i never had any problems with it. Also try getting the big block from bunnings lol its the same stuff but alot cheaper! :)

I have it in my bird boxes for my snakes. When they are coming up for a shed I re-wet it and then they generally shed the next day. Great to add a bit of humidity if you are struggling.

The "reptile stuff" is exactly like the gardening stuff except rebranded and the price doubled.
Go to bunnings and buy either the small or large Brunnings brand coco peat with the BLUE LABEL!! The ones with red labels have fertilizers in them.

The "reptile stuff" is exactly like the gardening stuff except rebranded and the price doubled.
Go to bunnings and buy either the small or large Brunnings brand coco peat with the BLUE LABEL!! The ones with red labels have fertilizers in them.
the large blocks with the blue packaging actually do have added ferts its just not as clearly labelled as it is on the red blocks

the large blocks with the blue packaging actually do have added ferts its just not as clearly labelled as it is on the red blocks

No they don't the brunnings large blocks are exactly the same as the smaller blocks just a bigger quantity.

No they don't the brunnings large blocks are exactly the same as the smaller blocks just a bigger quantity.
yes the block that makes 60litres does , i can take a picture of mine for you if you would like i bought one the realised after so its just been sitting in the shed , i have it in front of me as i type photo on the way

so tell me again how the large blue blocks are exactly the same as the small blocks , brunnings branded peat block sold at bunnings and oh look it contains slow release fertilisers

Attachments

• IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 134
so tell me again how the large blue blocks are exactly the same as the small blocks , brunnings branded peat block sold at bunnings and oh look it contains slow release fertilisers

Wow! That must be new additive as I have gone through a least 5 of these blocks and it never had anything about fertilizers.
My apologies.

I am trying to find a pic that I took of the product to show a mate what I was talking about.

Has anyone used this one before? They were out of stock of the little ones so I grabbed this, does not mention fertilizers on it? uploadfromtaptalk1363164241911.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Wow! That must be new additive as I have gone through a least 5 of these blocks and it never had anything about fertilizers.
My apologies.

I am trying to find a pic that I took of the product to show a mate what I was talking about.
no worries , reading my reply now im feeling like a bit of a pork chop , probably could of been a little bit more civilised but had a bad day at work so my apologies ( working on the NBN upgrade and the general public arnt being too cooperative every second person wants to let loose on you for the governments crap)

but yes i was surprised myself as i grabbed it quickly in the shop thinking that it would be the same , then i read the package just as i was about to break it open , ive asked the staff a few times (just to be sure) if the smaller packet contains ferts and have been told on all occasions that no it isnt and that it would have to be labelled so if it did so id say its still safe to use and i have been for the past year with no problems

yes the block that makes 60litres does , i can take a picture of mine for you if you would like i bought one the realised after so its just been sitting in the shed , i have it in front of me as i type photo on the way
sorry thomassss i was talking about coir peat :( i know some other people use this as a safe alternative no ferts
P1060972.jpg

I've used the Jungle Coco-peat and Coir-peat.

Ones just a hell of a lot cheaper:
20 bucks for three bricks of Jungle Coco-peat from Pet Shop.
Around 5 bucks for three Coir-peat bricks from Bunnings.

Apart from that there is no difference.
And either is safe, even if ingested.

sorry thomassss i was talking about coir peat :( i know some other people use this as a safe alternative no ferts
View attachment 285128
to my knowledge coco and coir are essentially the same( so made from coconut husk ) they just have different consistencies (although the pic i added is of a 60litre coir block same as yours not coco ) ive used the smaller block of coir (the one youve pictured) for the past year and have had absolutely no dramas at all , even sheds have always been perfect but it should be noted that the larger block in the same packet does contain added ferts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back