Cold weather help?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little confused by the "air gap" thing. I've read many people saying you need the air gap but i have fully understood why. Is it basically for if the thermostat fails a remains stuck on, the huge temps wont melt the click clack? If so, why wouldn't this occur with a heatcord?
I would have thought that the closer the temp probe for the thermostat is to the heat source, the better the control would be. If there is an air gap, there would be residual heat, meaning if you want 32 deg on the floor of the click clack, the heatmat/cord would end up getting to a higher temp before the floor gets to the preset level. This is by no means me arguing the point, just putting forward my understanding of it all and wanting to learn more.
I built my own thermostat, with easily replaceable relays and a seperate safety relay which cuts supply should the temp reach 4 deg above where ever i set the thermostat. 3 months on and no damage. I'll definitely put an air gap in as i imagine it's for safety, should the thermostat latch on and not turn off the heatmat but just want to know if there is another reason for it.
Also, i've put a different lid on my click clack with no holes compared to the previous which had half of the lid full of holes. There are plenty of holes around the top of the sides.

Another trick i have always used is use a 45ltr tub then place the 7w mat inside that and then place inside over the mat your smaller click clack and then u have double insulation.....got me through a couple of cold winters with my hatchies
View attachment 290180
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back