Colin the whale and ethics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, they should get out and leave nature to it.

I just heard on the news that Colin has been lost sight of, and an Aboriginal Whale Whisperer says that he could easily make quite good mileage if he dosnt get snapped up in his weakened state.

I don't like the poor buggers chances :(....It's sad, but not much can be done in these situations

The logistics of feeding the baby whale for the 11 month suckling period are HUGE. If you do your research you can see that it is impossible to rear this animal to survive.. It doesn't know whale language, it won't know how to hunt, where to migrate...

Those of you all for feeding it and rearing it - what happens when we wean it? What will it do then? Where will it go? What will it eat? What if it sees a whaling ship and expects a feed? It'll be doomed..

Nature is cruel - mama whale dumped her baby for a reason (unless she died). Feeding it would be impossible logistically and, at best, a 12 month stall. Let the poor little bubba go..Whether naturally or by human's hands.

Funny how easy it is for some to turn their back on a animal cause its "natures way", but a human child that is severely deformed and would definately die on its own is a completely different story. Humans interfere with human lives, altering chances of survival to a almost 100% rate,
Sorry, but that's bollocks. Every day millions of children starve to death around the world. STARVE to death. Where's the daily news update and public outcry on that?

There was talk of a few animal rights workers along with a few sponsors to purchase a dissused Navy fuel bladder which would be filled with a milk solution of some description and crushed/ground fish. They were going to attach it to a boat placed and manned permanately within the area in the hopes this calf would take to it and feed therefore standing a good chance of survival. The decision to destroy this animal is based on what?, a handful of people who assume they know what is best for the whale and have more than likely never even studied the species let alone had one in their vet surgery. Come on people, we put our hard earnt dollars into saving endangered species from all over the world and did we not, only a few months ago kick up a fuss over the Japanese whaling in our Aussie waters? Somewhat two faced if you ask me. Give saving this animal a shot, try to save it, its in our waters or should we just kill it because a National Parks and Wildlife spokes person along with a vet said it is best for the animal? They must be right because they work for the government and the other is a qualified vet, who are we to say what is best. Oh well, such is the way. Just doesnt make sense to me as to why the easy way should be taken. :x

I am no greenie but just let me say, Lets keep killing every single animal we come across in the name of human consumption, human greed and human survival and of course human stupidity so that in the end all we will have left to hunt is ourselves. Snare a human, harpoon a swimmer or shoot a bush walker. Really people.........who are we to decide.

The thing is Whales do not stay in one place, Their entire life is one long migration, This whale missed the boat so to speak, If it did manage to survive (under human care and guidance), it would more then likely be a very messed up individual (and a shipping hazzard to boot.)
And please think of the hundreds of millions of innocent krill this animal would slaughter if grown to full size! someone has to care for the krill!
A lot of people seem to be confusing cruelty for compasion!

Bronwyn Bishop was down there having a look.

She could have helped young Colin and popped an udder out.

Sorry, but that's bollocks. Every day millions of children starve to death around the world. STARVE to death. Where's the daily news update and public outcry on that?

I agree but that's on such a large scale that doing that sort of thing is going to take time. This is happening right here, and it's one whale, and it angers me that the authorites didn't even let those who were trying to help, to help. So many people had ideas, and I that we could have tried a couple. Yes the feeding of one calf is huge, but giving it something, as small as it is, is better then giving it nothing at all. Hell I'm thinking of going down there myself and doing something about it.

No one can honestly say that if you knew there was a starving whale, a starving person, a starving snake, a dog, anything, and you knew that there was some chance of saving it, as big or small as the chance may be, that you wouldn't at least to TRY and feed it, or care for it, rather then just saying that there's 0 hope of doing anything, we'll just put it out of it's misery now. Because I'm sorry if you think letting it die, or putting it down before even trying to feed it is the right thing to do, you're a moron.

That's my take on the situation.

This was one whale and its been 7 pages of awwwwww and what should we do???.....yet we hear about AUSTRALIAN children being abused in all sorts of manner and it doesnt even make page 1.......

The person doing the deed will probably have to wear a balaclava for fear of a greenpeace revenge driveby....

about the whole make a giant teat and use milk issue,

They have been in contact with ocean world in america, they can't really 100% make up a baby formula if they use the wrong ingredients it will die.

eg.. If you feed baby Kangaroos on dairy milk, it will die right away, they didn't want this to happen to the calf.

green peace are just hippies. If they put up a stink about euthanizing the calf then they can foot the bill or try and rear it themselves.

I am sure that the marine biologists all agree that it's really the last option and it's taken them 5 days to come to this solution. The calf has had nothing to eat and it would be starving esp when it's supposed to consume 200 + Ltrs a day.

I think I've solved the problem....

waterfront04_3.jpg

Filled with milk....

Some suitable 'udder' contraption....

Problem solved.... :)

Maybe the mum abandoned the baby for a reason...animals can often sense if their offspring is sickly!
Maybe they can learn something from this and get something in place incase it happens again?

After all the Japanese research I am sure they would know what to do. Reserch it!

if we are trying to save the whales from the Jap's then why can't we save poor,endangered,innocent Collin :( they have got their chance and they let it get away.Just save him if they have the milk formula

There was talk of a few animal rights workers along with a few sponsors to purchase a dissused Navy fuel bladder which would be filled with a milk solution of some description and crushed/ground fish. They were going to attach it to a boat placed and manned permanately within the area in the hopes this calf would take to it and feed therefore standing a good chance of survival.

From what I heard, that bladder was going to be used to transport the whale...
Also, say they do (somehow) work out the whales' milk formula and successfully feed it for TWELVE MONTHS (somehow).. What then? It will just die after we wean it as it doesn't know language, social skills, hunting skills, etc etc

The decision to destroy this animal is based on what?, a handful of people who assume they know what is best for the whale and have more than likely never even studied the species let alone had one in their vet surgery.

What on earth are yo basing that outrageous statement on mate? How can you possibly say the environmental experts and the veterinarians involved haven't worked with whales? Do you know who they are? What surgeries they own? No, you don't.

Those 'handful of people who assume they know best for the whale' sure as hell know a lot more about it than you do mate, or anybody else on this forum with bleeding hearts.

Come on people, we put our hard earnt dollars into saving endangered species from all over the world and did we not, only a few months ago kick up a fuss over the Japanese whaling in our Aussie waters? Somewhat two faced if you ask me.

Not two faced at all. This is nature. This happened naturally. Also, a few pages back Sadji mentioned the prices and logistics of saving this guy... It's out of control.

They must be right because they work for the government and the other is a qualified vet
Essentially, yes. Though the National Parks and Wildlife guy doesn't ask Kevin Rudd what to say, he is advised by people who know what's up on the issue. Vets, marine biologists and the like. Just 'cause you think these guys don't know what they're on about doesn't mean they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back