coloured party lights for heating???????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

craig.a.c

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
Hey everyone.

Is it possable to use party lights or christmas lights (they are the same size as normal house lights) for a heat source if they are connected to a thermostat? My Infra red heat lamp just blew....

Thanks in advance Craig.a.c

Absolutely, that's what many, perhaps most, people do. The colour might be important, red or blue is probably best, avoid green.

I beg to differ . it depends how many globes and what wattage peter. I had the same problem the other night both my night globes blew, I went down the hardware store to see if i could get a globe cheeper I brought a PHILLIPS party tone flood type globe (red ) but the highest wattage was 80 watt , so if you do use them you need at least 2 they just dont get hot enough.....

:p 80w aint bad most party lights ive found were all 40w & part the reason i dont use them. :p

cheers popp

Never seen a 80w party globe, I run 3x40w on a thermostat which does the trick. Even at $2 a globe it still gets expensive with 10 or more cages going.

I've wall mounted lights so the snakes coil up on the top of light guards, 20 watt bulb is plenty for that.

I use in some enclosures a 25w red lights under a boxed in wooden shelf open at the bottom. it provides more than adequate heat for smaller snakes and lizards. they can lay underneath or on the platform.

Basically you need any heat source that provides sufficient heat and that can be controlled by a thermostat.

There are lots of options. Party globes are fairly cheap but will fail regularly. If you have multiply globes having just one fail will not cause the enclosure to go cold.

The same applies for infra red lamps but these are more expensive.

Another option you may wish to consider is ceramic heat emmitters. These go into standard light sockets, give off no light and generally last a long time.

If you want heat from above consider a radient heat panel. I have never heard of one of these failing. They mount flush with the roof of the enclosure so your serpent cannot wrap itself around it and get burnt. They are white and look good in most enclosures... that is if you notice them at all.

If you want heat from below heat mats or tape is the go. Personally I use heat tape and tile over the top of it in all my enclosures. I have never had a problem with it.

Remember that you should use a sparky to perform or oversee any electrical work done.

You may wish to have a browse of the heating and lighting pages at the Herp Shop. http://www.herpshop.com.au

I'd assume Craig only needed a stop gap measure until he could replace his IR heat lamp. My first response was fairly succinct without having to confuse him about all other types of heating.
Sometimes simple is best.

(Go ahead Phil, you know you want to.)
Greg.

hi,
there are 60 reflector globs that are red and blue, they are exactly like recoter globs, they are used in party strobe light and are used to being turned on and off alot so a thermo. will be ok with them

Thanks
ashley

Thanks for all the replies.

I have got a ceramic heat bulb in the enclosure now, but the temp. drops below 20.c at night. I think I will just fork out extra cash for the infra red lights tommorrow.

I couldn't find any party lights over 40watts, and even they did not have a screw base, all bayonet.

Thanks again everyone. :)
Craig.a.c

That doesn't sound right to me! What wattage is the ceramic and how close to the ceramic is the thermostat probe and the thermometer?

I've got my spotted pythons in a glass cage with mesh on the sides (and therefore lots of cross-flow ventilation) and I have no problems maintaining 30 degrees in the basking spot. The other end of the cage gets down to 20, but the hot spot is always toasty warm. Maybe your ceramic is not powerful enough??? Just a thought...

Greg said:
I'd assume Craig only needed a stop gap measure until he could replace his IR heat lamp. My first response was fairly succinct without having to confuse him about all other types of heating.
Sometimes simple is best.

(Go ahead Phil, you know you want to.)
Greg.

I agree, Who would dream of making comment that didnt relate directly.

Another option you may wish to consider is ceramic heat emmitters. These go into standard light sockets, give off no light and generally last a long time.

Herptrader, are you sure about that? I think a ceramic heat emitter (element not ceramic bulb) might seriously melt a standard socket, unless you were refering to size as "standard" ? Plastic sockets have melted on me with a 200 watt heat globe ! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back