Colubrids

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put a live one in her water bowl.
I love the little swaying action of her head that she does when she first spots the fish.It's no wonder people used to believe that snakes hypnotise their prey.

I have been tagged by my male Brown Tree Snake, didn't cause much pain, just slight redness and itching.

I have been tagged by a Banded Tree snake as well. One bite gave me a headache and some local pain,my whole hand throbbed for about hours. I think the worst part was the actual bite with all the chewing going on

sounds nasty, slatey grey l think would hurt l saw a very angry one last week didnt dare put my hands near it.

yep, they enjoy a good chew lol. A bite from one of them hurts more then a bite from a 6ft carpet in my experience

Magpie said:
Colubrids are a very poorly defined branch of snakes, basically best described as not pythons, boas, elapids, blind snakes or vipers.

Probably the best description I've heard in a long time, Maggy. :)

The colubrid family is the largest group of snakes in the world, and as such, is a little difficult to define. As more studies in taxonomy are completed, more revisions will be made.

An often quoted phrase is that 90% of the world's snakes are not dangerous, except in Australia where 90% of the snakes can kill you.

Something I remember from a long-time ago is that most colubrids have a loreal scale, something the Aussie elapids don't have.

And in reference to the BTS biting and chewing, and people becoming ill or not, because of the rear-fangs a quick bite may not mean envenomation - BTS ( and many other rear-fanged colubrids) usually chew to get the rear fangs working.

Hix

i got tagged by my brown tree snake, no headaches but a lot of itchiness.

this is a quote from my website (still under construction)-

Snakes under the classification of colubridae are either non-venomous and have solid teeth or are mildly venomous and have solid grooved fangs at the back of their mouth. Colubrids, unlike elapids (front-fanged venomous snakes) have loreal scales which are the one or two scales between the eye and nostrils. Although there are nowhere near as many colubrid species in Australia as elapids, their characteristics range drimatically. Some colubrid species' dismantle thier prey to aid in swollowing the food item which is unique among Australian snakes, others species have become serious feral pests in other countries while a few other colubrids are almost completely aquatic, some even living in an esturine environment.

while a few other colubrids are almost completely aquatic, some even living in an esturine environment.

are those the keelback and slatey grey?

bokadams, mecleays water snakes, white bellied mangrove snakes, richardsons mangrove snakes ect.

I'd guess files snakes and maclays (dog faced) water snake.

Ricko:
Keelbacks are pretty much semi-aquatic and their main prey is frogs licards tadpoles and fish (Wilson and Swan 2003) The number of these things I can find in 30mins at fogg dam is pretty amazing. Sleatey greys are not aquatic but in my limited experience they are always found relatively close to water.

oh ok, whats fogg dam like? i have a few mates that have gone herping there and said it was great, but a bit far for me as im in melbourne.

Its awesome, I love it, dont get too go much because of school commitments though. Pleanty of water pythons, keelbacks, slaty greys, and I have found King Browns and Death Adders near the carpark :).

hey rlowey, where did you get the GTS? I've been looking around Melb for quite a while.
SImo

carnt say at the present as l'm trying to score another one ( a blue) from the same person. what colour are you after as the golds arnt hard to get.

ok, fair enough. Well, I was just interested in them and i don't have the space for any at the moment, although, I have been looking and have not found many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back