Constipated Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

david63

Reaction score
Hi All
My 18month old male Prosperpine Coastal hasen't defacted in 2 weeks & has had 2 meals? His basking spot is approx 31 degres, he's has access to fresh water & appears otherwise OK - but you can see the swelling of his body where the waste must be - any hints?

what size food do you feed it because it might be to big for it and that's why it's constipated.

He's about 175cm long & is fed 1 small rat per week - which he has been handling fine until recently

soak him in shallow warm water for a couple of hours, then be ready for alot of sheet soon after

yeah what basketcase said. Plus i wouldn't keep feeding until you get some movements down stairs.

A bit of free roaming on the lawn used to get poo end action out of mine very quickly. Baskets warm water soak is a great idea, just not too warm. Often the excersize of trying to escape the soaking container get ems goin too. "Gentle" massage toward the cloaca also works but dont do it if you can feel a hard mass there. They sometimes hold there poo if coming up to a slough, dont know why, and then they poo in the slough! :lol:

instar said:
They sometimes hold there poo if coming up to a slough, dont know why, and then they poo in the slough! :lol:

You beat me to it Ini, I was just about to ask, is he coming on to a shed?

All the advice above is great. I dont think your snake is constipated though. 2 weeks isnt long. They can hold their faeces in for much longer regardless of wether they are being fed or not. A constipated snake usually lays with the back half of their body in a straight line and doesnt bring it into its coils when resting. Also with big faeces they can sometimes fill with gas which gives them a bloated look towards the end of their body. The gas is released with the faeces. I dont think you have anything to worry about.

I give you slateman's advice.
Handle your snake bit more, that will help. Mine snakes usually do the business when arownd my neck. :wink:

I had a problem with my coastal but he had swallowed some kitty litter with his rat . the kitty litter swells inside and blocks everythin up

I have a bredli which had same problem before winter for a few months. had a examnination of faeces and found small parasite which apparently isnt uncommon to have from birth and doesnt affect them till little later on. Antibiotics cleared that up but she still has a body response to the possible discomfort she may have been in during this time and she needs to be coaxed to get through and kind of relearn her body that its normal and no discomfort. If she hasnt been for 2 weeks or so then normally i will give her a soak in warm water for a little while (about 30 deg or so) though she spends the whole time trying to escape from the sink and i will also give her gentle massage along underside of body to the tail end while she is on the lawn. has work since winter any way. and i think she is getting more regular now also.

cheers
chris

Thanks for all the advice everyone - he shed last night but still no action. He's in a tight coil, without any signs of discomfort, might wait a day or two & if nothing happens I'll try the soaking.

Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back