cooling stoped

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom

Reaction score
I have told today be the vet to bring the heat back up on my male diamond and to leave the cooling till next year.The reason being he is loosing to much weight so i have to heat him back up ,feed and worm him .
My question is will this affect him in any way or not?

Thanks in advance everone

Steve

Um, if its old enough, it may not breed successfully this year possibly, (cooling enhances sperm production im told )other than that no. follow the vets advice mate. All is well. :wink:

i don't see any danger i got told since my spotted isn't eatting to take her into hibernation shes showing signs of wanting to sleep shes always under the paper and only comes out to drink then goes back under the paper so i have droped the thermostat to 25degrees celsicus and i will bring the temp up in august and then see if she will eat

If any one should know, it should be the vet. Provided he is familiar with the reptile world. If so he would only tell what's best for the animal. :lol:

instar said:
Um, if its old enough, it may not breed successfully this year possibly, (cooling enhances sperm production im told )other than that no. follow the vets advice mate. All is well. :wink:
no he wont be ready for breeding untill next year.

spottedpython said:
shes showing signs of wanting to sleep shes always under the paper and only comes out to drink then goes back under the paper

That's interesting because when my spotted does this, it's always in preparation for a shed.

also if you havent got a hide box for it then it may be going under paper because of this.

i do have a hide box in there she still goes under the paper i took her hide out a couple of days go cause she was always going under the paper and i put it in my diamond pythons cage

hey spotted python my maccies are the same. i have two hide boxes in their enclosure but for some reason they always prefer to hide under the paper.
i've tried smaller and larger hide boxes, cardboard and plastic ones etc. they always prefer underneath the paper.
i don't worry any more.
maybe it's just in their nature!!!

I wonder how many snakes will get sick and die this winter from this hyped-up cooling everyone is doing.
Reptiles require warmth, breeders cool males under controlled condition, diet is ensured prior to it etc etc etc.
If you have a young snake - esp female - why the heck are you cooling it????????????????
Be prepeared for sick animals that will die on you because you dont have a clue what you are doing this process for!!!!!!!!! How can you control it satisfactorily if you dont know the purpose of the exercise! Because one day in 3 years time you might get to breed the animal????????

Well ad if you know so much why don't you tell the people who are unshore of what their reptiles are doing instead of just making sarcastic unnecessary comments.
That is why these threads are here for, to "HELP" those that don't know or are unsure. Not to be belittled by someone that possibly knows more.
If you do know more why don't you offer some words of advice and "SAVE" this animal from dieing before it is too late.
I know your animal should be well fed and healthy before hybernation but maybe others don't.
Just give them the benefit of your knowledge rather than your criticisms thats all.

Your funny Ad :wink:

How many tropical pythons "hibernate"? answer......none. Even Diamonds will remain active during the middle of winter.

Cooling is exactly that, you cool the snake to a lower tempreture, you don't need to freeze the balls off them. How many spotted pythons are living wild in VIC?

If diamonds are still active during winter where sydney temps can reach zero degrees and colder, does this mean that they are not hybernating or are they just cooling? :wink:

I have seen more diamonds on the central coast in winter than any other time of year.
I had a call from a friend in springwood (blue mountains) the other day because he had a diamond on top of his bird cage.

I understand they are still active this time of year, my enqiry was more along the lines of it does not hybernate and just "cools" during the winter period, then why do ppl refer to it as hybernation.

How many tropical pythons "hibernate"? answer......none.

wouldn't it be fair to say that this int itself is a form of hybernation - a change of temperature causing a reduction of activity during the cooler months which in turn promotes breeding.

Hibernation is something mammels do when they sleep the whole winter.
I don't know many people that refer to pythons as hibernating, it's refered to as cooling, as thats what it is

i keep diamonds in an avairy in sydney temps and they are still active at 15 degrees!!! the coldest it has been this year is 8!!!
i went outside this morning when it was 10 degrees and they were all still in the braches and not in their hide boxes.

i only ever cool reptiles that i am trying to breed other wise it is unneccery.

You should cool all adult reptiles regardless, It's important to give them enviromental cues, not just breeding. Alot of pythons will stop eating during this time and that time off from feeding i feel it's very important to their overall health and lifespan.
There are different levels of cooling for all reptiles but it should happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back