Copper Pipe Perch

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some creativity and skill there, surely, but what's wrong with using actual branches?

A short walk through most local parks will provide many branches of all shapes and sizes...

jeez,stop bashing him you lot,you praise him for the effort in 1 hand,and bring him down with the other......would he have done it if there was a possibility of hurting his snake??? NOT.......nice job mate

Looks quite effective actually. Never tried, never known. Good on you.

To Gruni & anyone interested, copper bracelets are popular in people with joint pain and arthritis. The reason for this is the zinc leeches through the skin along with other not so cool stuff which leads to the green ring if you wear it long enough. So no I don't think bare copper would be a great idea although I have no comment on the insulation, time will tell I guess.

And in regards to potable & town water pipes, once upon a time it was a good idea to use gal also... now they're switching to poly.

And in regards to potable & town water pipes, once upon a time it was a good idea to use gal also... now they're all getting changed to poly.

Not because of any health concerns though.PEX is getting used more and more these days instead of copper because it is cheaper and easier to work with.

Some creativity and skill there, surely, but what's wrong with using actual branches?

A short walk through most local parks will provide many branches of all shapes and sizes...

nothing wrong with braches I just found that to get something as sturdy as I would like it to be, with the character I would want was hard. this fits exactly where I want it to be and I don't have to worry about pests that may come with a branch found in a park.

don't get me wrong, I have used branches in the past and will again! but hey, the materials were free and I thought stuff it, let's give it a go.

and leaks alot more due to stupid fittings :lol:

From a scientific standpoint I have nothing to really argue the point with you but they simply haven't been measuring enough parameters of town water contents for long enough to really make a solid comment.

However being a metalworker, I can assure you that copper pipe isn't as good for you as you're lead to believe..

Copper is toxic when ingested & can be linked to cirrhosis of the liver & degenerative brain disorders. Quick research reveals levels of 2mg/l of copper in average town water in NSW in 2004, I don't believe much research has been done on such low exposure levels over prolonged periods of time. Of course we need a certain amount of copper in our bodies to survive but how our body regulates that & what it does with it are governed by many variables. There are so many things we still don't know, one of the degenerative brains disorders it can throw out is alzheimers which is on the rise for so far unexplained reasons.

It has recently been found that rainwater stored in plastic tanks plumbed through copper pipe can be acidic enough to cause problems with the pipe & subsequent health problems. The old concrete tanks used to leech lime into the water which neutralised the acid. This is really only a problem with stored water though & your town taps are usually flushed fairly often.

So I do know where you're coming from Ramsayi, it's not about to kill us tomorrow, I just don't think it's as safe as made out, though what really is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back