Could only last 4 days

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeWrangler

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Its been 4 days since I last handled my female coastal hatchling, I couldn't hold out any longer, anyway I tried feeding her but again no luck, I know that it has been 2 weeks (as of tomorrow) since her last feed as I was told this buy the person I bought her off.

What do you guys suggest I do to really calm her down and get her to eat, I tried scenting the fuzzy with a garden skink but with no luck. Should I seperate her from the same tank as the male so that I can still handle him without having to disturb her, I cannot do it with her in there because she likes to sit right between the lid and the glass lip at the top of the tank, cannot open the lid without disturbing her. Do you guys think that there could be problems housing them together? She seemed really on edge around him when he was moving near her, she never striked but I thought she was going to a couple of times.

The male is going excellent, I held him today and he feels so much stronger and fuller after eating the 2 fuzzies on the 13th of this month. He still hasn't defacated yet, but his little bulge has just about gone so I would say it will be pretty soon. He actually really suprised me with how strong he is, he was trying with all his might to constrict my wrist and he was able to apply alot of pressure for such a small snake. He actually freaked me out a bit because I just imaged how strong he would be when he is full grown! He is so cool. :) By the way I have named him Jake, still haven't thought of a name for my girl yet.

Cheers.

its probably just an individual thing with the female. if she hasnt eaten in another couple of weeks id separate them and then see how she goes

your girl will go for months without eating no probs

Stop handling her for a while. She'll be massively stressed out if she's only just moved home and you're handling her.

Simon Archibald

I had a similar problem with my coastal i left it alone for two weeks other then cleaning and water which was carried out without disturbance then i tried again to feed and also scented it with a skink it took a few attempts to get it to eat as it let go of it each time then on the last attempt he was in his hide when i wiggled it and he grabbed it i left him alone for an hour in the dark and when i came back it was gone !also my other coastal which is the same age has to be left in the dark by himself to eat (a bit shy i think ) but has no problems eating .
also my enclosures are in my bedroom so they dont get disturbed by everyone walking by and looking all the time .
i also found it hard not to handle them at first but what i do now is only handle the snakes that are eating well .

Cheers mick

Is there a chance she is coming on to a shed, as some snakes won?t feed around that time?

I've had similiar problems with 2 Stimsons bought recently. Male is a pig and female won't eat - I reckon it's seasonal and have induced cooling..........I haven't seen her for a couple of weeks and will leave her alone until Aug/Sept.

Leave your female alone altogether - even if for a few weeks. If the breeder told you she fed - then that should be enough for you not to worry about it.

Simon, this is my plan from now on.

JunglePython, the tank is located in our lounge room, very high traffic area.

Dobermanmick, I think I might try her in the dark because when she first see's and smell they prey she looks as if she is interested then leaves it, if I pick it up and wiggle it she just wants to get onto my hand from then on.

Artie, I don't think she is coming onto a shed because there is a little bit of old skin from the last shed still on her back and it has been there since I got her.

glacey, I think I might put her in a smaller box and place it inside the enclosure so that she can be completely alone for a couple of weeks, this way I can still mess around with Jake as he is eating and doing really well. I am so stoked with him, the strange thing is the female seemed fine when I first got them and Jake seemed stressed, now it is the other way around.

Cheers.

Has she got somewhere to hide? Also try feeding using forceps so you hand is away from the prey, it my be freaking out the girl.
Feeding at night is a good idea, I only feed at night. Not only do you get a better feeding response but a hand in the cage during the day won't be regarded as prey.

hey mate i have a couple of hatcling stimmy's that were champion feeders and then went off food for a month then i tried the method of putting the snake into a light globe box and the pinky in with it ansd now if they dont feed i put them in the box and 10 minutes later no more pinky. i actually did it tonight as well

Fuscus, She sure does but she never uses it. I am going to put it into an elevated position because I think she likes to be up off the ground as she chooses to sit in the highest point in the enclosure.

Ricko, I think I will give her a couple of weeks and if she still doesn't eat, I'll give that a try.

Thanks Guys.

Hi all, yesterday I went out to tea so I decided to try feeding her again. This time I got a small decor container, stuck in a hide, a small water dish and placed her in it and put the container half over the heat pad, put the mouse in, and put the house in complete darkness while I was out. Came home and she had eaten it, I was so happy :). Anyway, thanks to everyone for your help. :)

Jake (my male) also ate again today, only offered 1 fuzzy and he ate it like a champion, in front of an audience as well. :) He don't care where he is, if there is food, he will eat it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back