Council permit required to keep reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Council permit required to keep retiles

I recall someone in Knox City coming up agaist this. They pointed out that they already pays for a permit to keep reptiles in the state of Victoria.

I don't know anything about a Jeff.

As for when this bylaw came in I'm still not sure but the date on the top of the page is 5 April 2002.

I will copy out part of the bylaw relating to permit required. It is 4.1(a)-(g) where 4.1(g) is the bit that applies to me. I will make the relevant parts bold.

----------------------------------------
PART 4 - ANIMALS

4.1 Keeping - Permit Required

Without a permitan owner or occupier of land must not keep more than -

(a) 2 dogs,on land of less than 2 hectares in area;

(b) 4 dogs, on land of 2 hectares or more in area;

(c) 3 cats on land of less than 2 hectares in area;

(d) 4 cats, on land of 2 hectares or more in area;

(e) any livestock on land of 0.4 hectares or less in area;

(f) 4 domestic birds and 25 poultry on land of 0.4 hectares or more but less than 2 hectares in area; and/or

(g) 6 rodents or any reptiles, unless they are kept on land zoned rural and provided that the reptiles are not venomous.
---------------------------------------

The section of bylaw outlined above applies to the Rural City Of Horsham. Other cities or towns may or may not have similar bylaws.

So, as you can see, I do need a permit to keep reptiles in town.

BTW section 4.2 refers to Keeping Prohibited and section 4.3 refers to "Dog" and "Cat". I was only given 1 photocopied page.

I hope this clears things up a bit. :lol:

Cheers,
Wombat.

errr 6 reptiles is stuff all and no venomous at all.... it really isint theyre place its govenments as far as im concerned once i pay my licence they can kiss my big hairy b@lls

and if they wanna have a song and dance ill cancel my lease and move..... stuff em

Just an update.

I got my application in too late for the last council meeting, but there is a council meeting today starting at 5:30pm. The council meets once a fortnight.

Hopefully they will discuss my permit application at today's meeting. I should here back by Wednesday. If not, I'll go chasing them.

I also have the electrician coming at 8:30am to wire up my snake enclosure as well as replace some lights, so I'd better get off the internet and get organized. :shock: I still have a lot of cleaning up to do. :roll: :wink:

I will give a further update with the permit when I know more.

Cheers,
Wombat.

I am rebel against local council powers to dictate people what is alowed and not.
Ignoring them totaly and hoping that state govermant will abolish all of the blod sucking lazy parasites.
How many goverment , taxes and fees one need. ( now that will get Zoe started :lol:)

Stuff em, Theyre aquarium animals and exempt from most by-laws and regs that generally refer to "domestic" pets and animals.

Slateman said:
I am rebel against local council powers to dictate people what is alowed and not.
Ignoring them totaly and hoping that state govermant will abolish all of the blod sucking lazy parasites.
How many goverment , taxes and fees one need. ( now that will get Zoe started :lol:)

Never was such a truer words written, even if in Slatey Ingrish :lol:

i think i can hold myself back from that one slatey ;)

horshams a great place...the locals are expected to kill snakes ...then they make it harder for ppl to keep them safe...this area seems to hate them with the same passion that we have for the snakes....again i may be generalising ,no doubt there are ppl in horsham that rnt backward and twoheaded....i just havnt met any yet
http://aussiepythons.com/modules.ph...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

baz

most of them have that Bylaw...dont worry about it....who cares they have nuff crap on their plates....like whats for smoko

You will find many councils have no laws regarding the keeping of reptiles, so most people really are not affected. I know I am not, but if I where I would just ignore them. Its my house and I am not effecting anyone by keeping these animals so they should just butt out.

My parants have lots show dogs and when the council came over to inspect them, I had reptiles all over the place they didnt even say anything about them, this was in Jimboomba, and it was beaudesert shire council and the to have that bylaw...so really dont worry about it.

NSW DEC will stay out of this one, its not a fauna protection law issue, however it is appreciated that licences issued under the fauna protection laws may be invalidated by local council by-laws. Indeed this has happened with the keeping of birds in aviaries. Accordingly, all NSW reptile keeper licences are issued with a condition that states: "The nominated (licensed) premises must at all times comply with applicable statutory provisions relating to building and health requirements."

I am not aware of any NSW local government area seeking to impose restrictions on reptile keeping within any building that has been constructed with approval, whether it be the residence, garage or the shed out the back. I have also never heard of a problem with an escape-proof outide pit.

Cheers,
Jeff Hardy
Coordinator Wildlife Licensing
NSW DEC

thanks for that wondering when you were going to come along, I ran my shire council, they said that aslong as we (the keepers) abid by NPWS laws then they ahve no issue at all aslong as the animals are recorded legally with a govenering body such as NPWS.

We here in W.A have to have councils permission as part of our reptiles takers license application.
This has for us been a bit of a headache as we were told we had to go through town planning approval and hense a council meeting. It was passed but not with out resistance and conditions. As far as the basic keeping of them goe's, C.A.L.M doe's not to my knowledge ask for us to prove that we have councils permission. It may be the case however that some councils do have bylaws to consider regardless.

Thanks for your support guys. If they do turn it down, I will be looking for answers. I have been told that apart from the pet shop I am the only one who has applied for a permit.

Although I don't know who they are, I am aware of several people tho keep snakes in Horsham. The pet shop owner has admitted to selling snakes to Horsham people.

Cheers,
Wombat.

Whats going on Wombat you WANT to be the first sucker to signup.You would just make it harder for other people inthe future.God starve the lizards wombat these councils and the crap theyve got happening make national parks look like softys.Youll need a private secretary the way your going.

The Council By-Laws Officer has spoken!!

Please refer to the by-law I posted back on the 3rd of this month. The By-Laws Officer reads it different to me.

The way he reads it, I can't keep any reptiles in town and only non venomous out of town. But he (personly) thinks that I should be able to keep a non venomous snake in town. He doesn't want to present my application to the Council meeting because I thinks that it would be rejected.

The Council By-Laws Officer has decided to give me a permit to keep a snake (with conditions). He said that the conditions would be commonsense type conditions. He will send me a letter with in a week or so with the permit. In the meantime, he said I could go ahead and buy a snake.

Thank you for all your response. I just wanted to do it the legal way.

Cheers,
Wombat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back