crickets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arbok

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey anyone know how long small crickets will be ok for?, im getting some geckos and because of permit it could be any day now, so while i was at out the wholesalers i decided i'd grab a pack of cricks just incase i get the geckos sometime this weekend (as i wont be out there again til thursday) they say they last longer if u put carrot in so i have done that..

also... how do u get a few out at a time without them all getting out? is there some secret trick for this

i buy them and then empty them into a larger tank,like one of those plastic insect tanks, i then add a food bowl with gut load and carrot and another bowl with a wet tissue scrunched up in it and they last ages.

cheers
H.

hey anyone know how long small crickets will be ok for?, im getting some geckos and because of permit it could be any day now, so while i was at out the wholesalers i decided i'd grab a pack of cricks just incase i get the geckos sometime this weekend (as i wont be out there again til thursday) they say they last longer if u put carrot in so i have done that..

also... how do u get a few out at a time without them all getting out? is there some secret trick for this

I've found in the tubs it varies. Mainly in relation to ambient temps and brand of crickets, but when I say that I mean by what the distributor uses as food. The ones who use a slice of carrot only seems to last better, and the tubs that use the grainy stuff in the bottom seems to get very moist and humid and kills the crix.

By the way arbok, if you are getting hatchie crickets you will need pinheads, if you bought 'smalls' they are probably too big.

crix are farily hearty they prefer warmer temps and gutload,carrot and other fruits are what i feed mine as for getting a few out at a time you just gotta be quick and thats my secret trick LOL :D what kind of gex are you getting?

crix are fairly hearty they prefer warmer temps, i feed mine gutload, carrot and other fruits. Mine last for a month or so and will even breed if i let them :D What kind of gex are you getting?

getting some oedura castelnaui there parents are hypo so it will be interesting to see how they turn out!
and falconboy i think troy said they were feeding on smalls, but if not then i guess its another trip to liverpool :(

mine came with gutload but it says feed them it just before u feed them to your gecks, so ive just got carrot in atm

OK, chances are the catelnaui are bigger than the strophurus I deal with so they may be eating small. :) That is easier than having a supply of pinheads.

can u even buy pinheads? didnt nlook like they had any...

I've just had to start feeding our baby beardies crix as troys new job has him working out whoop whoop for a couple of weeks at a time and has me feeding all the lizards. The best way i've found with the crix is the old egg carton in the tub and pull out the egg carton and tap it over the feeding tub or cage of the lizards. It's easy to do with crix as they seem to just stay on the egg carton unless they get tapped off not like cockies who go mad and crawl everywhere. Hope this helps. :)

can u even buy pinheads? didnt nlook like they had any...

Depends on the shop, some get them regularly, some on order. Luckily mine get them all the time, even the Monday before New Years day this year they had some come in!

Hey a Arbok,where abouts is this wholesaler at liverpool.You mean insect wholesaler dont you? Can you give my an idea of the prices for large crickets?

ummm westerns pet supplies in liverpool, its only wholesale if you own a shop though :(, but thee stuff is ultra cheap anyway....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back