croc farming? croc skin purse.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Naja - You seem to have a large amount of misinformation on this topic...

Most of the crocs entering the farms are not 'rogue' animals at all. They are from eggs collected under permit from private properties with ridiculous figures of between $30 and $60 per viable egg paid to the landholder.

What this has done is made it beneficial for landholders to preserve the environment that wild crocodiles live in as they have placed an indirect value on those animals.

As we all seem to agree that destruction of habitat is the major threat left to wild crocodiles it is a positive step to place a high value on these environments and promote their protection amongst the actual landholders. The people who own this land now protect these habitats as the crocs who live there provide a great source of income with no outlay to the landowner - as such crocs are flourishing in the Territory...

true true, they also have a number of females on the croc farms that produce eggs that are collected and incubated for meat and skin...Also out of interest and dont quote me on this, but is its few degrees higher than the normal incubation temp produces males where most are all born female? Or vice versa??

...also did anyone hear or see of the news that croc cowboys (collectors) were out getting eggs off a private farm a couple of years ago and the guy got grabbed on the leg by the the female as he was getting her eggs, so his mate shot at the croc, but beacause his mate was flailing around in the crocs mouth, he missed the croc and shot his mate clean through the elbow...lol..gold...croc one, cowboys zero in the funny stakes.

lol alie i didnt hear about that.... bet his mate wasnt too happy with him after that lol wonder if the croc or the shot in the arm did more damage?

so they do go out and get eggs in the wild then incubate them? i just gathered they would only have crocs on the farm breeding

is that also to stop the population in the wild getting bigger or just so they can have more on the farms?

the croc farms do breed alot of their own crocs.

just for information
if a crocodile farm gets a rogue crocodile from the wild it is illegal for them to make money direct from that croc even when it dies natuarlly, so they can't kill it and sell the meat or skin but they can breed from it and use it's babies for those purposes.

thats odd casho i wonder why that is? itd make more sence to use one that died naturally etc for its leather then kill one for it

I think that it might be to stop unscrupulous farms from scamming it as they have vested interest. ie get people to phone about "rogue" crocs all the time and for them to be captured and given to farms. Guess lots might "accidentally" die often in their captivity if valuable. Just an idea though.

Why do they not just keep the boys away from the girls??????? Would cause a LOT less heartache for some!!!!!!!!!

The farms do breed and incubate their own eggs, however, the vast majority of eggs are collected and incubated on site...

Naja - It seems pointless discussing this with you as you seem to be obsessed with pessimistic conspiracy theories. Quite simply, regardless of anyone's opinion on the matter, both the croc farms and the wild croc populations seem to be doing exceedingly well under the current system...

Maybe pointless trying to argue with some people with no compassion or heart. I am not obsessed with pessimistic conspiracy theories, just upset with 90% of the populations lack of compassion and complete and utter decadence. I read there are only 75,000 salties in Oz so not doing "exceedingly" well. Bearing in mind that the population was down to around 3,000 37 years ago. also bearing in mind the population does not have the same age balance as before ie will be several decades of good conservation before balance is restored so not "exceedingly well" in my book.

Where do you draw the line? clubbing baby seals the the tens of thousand for the fur? or intensively farming cats and dogs for fur with them piled on top of each other in cages? A crazy German scientist made furnishings and items out of human skin and he and some others would have though quite vogue at the time. Maybe some people would think that killing the seals would be good for fishing as more profit so win win? Maybe some people here would have wanted a nice human skin lamp if living in Germany at the time as quite fashionable in their social circle. Maybe some people would have been conscious enough to make up there own mind and do what reduces suffering. For me intensively farming endangered species for vane fashion reasons and farming intelligent mammals for their fashionable fur is where i draw the line. If all that some people care about is chasing a bit of paper with a bit of ink saying "$" on it and looking fashionable then good luck and hope have happy fulfiled life. There is even movements for the welfare of battery farmed chicken as extremely cruel. Some people with a little compasion draw their metaphorical line sooner rather than later.

we should all turn vegeterian
not kill anything
and not wear any clothes or shoes that come from animals
and we should all wear tye dye clothing too lol
then everyone will be happy
make love not war!!!!

nah i understand everyones point of views on this subject naja nivea u dont have to agree with the whole killing crocs thing i am honestly surprised that there wasnt alot more people on here saying they are against it, i have learnt alot on this thread tho thanks everyone for ur imput and help on the subject

and everyone make sure this doesnt turn nasty on here would be good to not get this closed lol

If everybody made love not war the world would be better place for all us animals hehe. Yeah i am surprised too. But guess i am easy target for ridicule as wear my heart on the outside and care for animals and nature. I am not a vegetarian but will even kill and eat my own food occasionally when i can but the fish or rabbit etc wont suffer and i have a deal with them and thank them, ie i am only borrowing their energy for little while and promise that i will relinquish all mine one day and others can share in it, whether it be worms, bacteria or fungi or maybe even a croc hehe.

Copied from a website i just found:- http://www.alv.org.au/issues/fur.php

Fur: A fashion statement for some, a cruel death sentence for others.
80-100 million animals are killed by the clothing and fur industries EVERY year. Hundreds of thousands of raccoons and sables, and millions of farmed mink, foxes and kangaroos are used. These animals are farmed or trapped in the wild, just to satisfy ever changing fashion trends.
The fur trade is a violent, bloody industry. Trapping, beating, drowning and ripping animals skins from their backs simply for the sake of vanity is absolutely indefensible.
When people wear fur, they are showing the world their complete disregard for nature and animals.

so would people have us all turn vegeterian not eat anything that comes from farmed animals
meat from cattle, sheep, pigs and chickens
milk from cows
eggs from chickens

it dosn't make sense, farming crocs is just like a farmer of cattle to sell to the slaughter house for meat.

LOL i live in the NT and let me tell you its not done for research.... In the Northern Territory you do not get your crocodile products from Crocodylus park.... We have actual croc farms where crocodiles are breed for meat and crocodile products..... It is a very profitable industry... The law is, no crocodile can be killed in the wild for it's meat or skin.... If a wild crocodile dies naturally, it can be skinned for the skin, but cannot be sold!
The crocs in crocodylus park are just for show and aren't killed for meat or skin... But sure if they died they would use the skin....

I did.... and decided I would simply answer the initial question again for those who don't want to read all the crap above.... Farming animals is a way of life... Supply and demand... And sitting here winging about it sure isn't going to change anything... Next time you take medicine or fall asleep in your house (wood) think about how you have supported the devastation of animals and habitat... it's a plain and simple.... (please don't bother replying this, I was just answering the initial question and am not going to get involved with this pointless debate)
Cheers

hehe ok. So if you and casho repeat what other people say and dont listen to any replies then post then this post has served its purpose and finished. Trolls arriving just to antagonise and wind up with inane pointless lobotomised comments......

Have a nice day ;)

Last edited:
by the looks of one of the threads on here tonight it looks like there trying to organise culling in some places. what do they do with ones that they cull in the wild?

they will go for the huge ones if they allow trophy hunters to go ahead......as far as the over all cull goes I am not sure if they will leave them where they fall or not ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back