croc farming? croc skin purse.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe pointless trying to argue with some people with no compassion or heart. I am not obsessed with pessimistic conspiracy theories, just upset with 90% of the populations lack of compassion and complete and utter decadence. I read there are only 75,000 salties in Oz so not doing "exceedingly" well. Bearing in mind that the population was down to around 3,000 37 years ago. also bearing in mind the population does not have the same age balance as before ie will be several decades of good conservation before balance is restored so not "exceedingly well" in my book.

Where do you draw the line? clubbing baby seals the the tens of thousand for the fur? or intensively farming cats and dogs for fur with them piled on top of each other in cages? A crazy German scientist made furnishings and items out of human skin and he and some others would have though quite vogue at the time. Maybe some people would think that killing the seals would be good for fishing as more profit so win win? Maybe some people here would have wanted a nice human skin lamp if living in Germany at the time as quite fashionable in their social circle. Maybe some people would have been conscious enough to make up there own mind and do what reduces suffering. For me intensively farming endangered species for vane fashion reasons and farming intelligent mammals for their fashionable fur is where i draw the line. If all that some people care about is chasing a bit of paper with a bit of ink saying "$" on it and looking fashionable then good luck and hope have happy fulfiled life. There is even movements for the welfare of battery farmed chicken as extremely cruel. Some people with a little compasion draw their metaphorical line sooner rather than later.
The population may be down from original numbers, but with the amount of human incroachment into their habitat, there probably wouldnt be enough area for that many crocs to live in anyway.

I am of 2 minds on this. I feel bad for the crocodiles that are killed for consumer products but i also see that it is an industry that is not endangering crocs in the wild.
Isnt it better to breed them and kill them than take them out of the wild and deplete those populations. That said, i would be more concerned about the conditions they are kept in while alive, their quality of life than their final outcome.

I don't agree that just because a few people who, (being locals), really should have known better, get killed by crocs, that the government should allow people to come in and take out all the biggest breeding age crocs.

they will go for the huge ones if they allow trophy hunters to go ahead......as far as the over all cull goes I am not sure if they will leave them where they fall or not ..

what i dont get tho is culling them beacuse of some attacks that have gone on... isnt really going to reduce the attacks, at the end of the day there will still be crocs, thats like saying lets kill every animal that hurts humans lol its a bit silly

Can anyone give any reason why this is substantially different to farming any other kind of animal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back