Crocodiles More Bird Than Reptile...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL! Aus when Darlyn mentioned the bipedal crocs I was totally gonna post a pic of that. Good old crocoduck. I bet there wouldn't be so many hunters down by the local pond if they existed :p

Here is a very simplified explanation. Fishes came out of the sea leading to primitive amphibians but the amphibians had to stay close to the water for body hydration and to lay eggs in the water. This led to a new animal that grew a protective skin to hold water and the ability to lay a hard shelled egg that could be laid on land for protection from predators and to create an enclosed watery environment for the foetus to grow. These were the first Dinos. From here they split into two groups, lizard hipped and bird hipped dinos. The bird hipped ones led to the TRex etc. One offshoot led to the Archaeopteryx then modern birds. The lizard hipped side had an offshoot that led to Crocodilians. The main similarities are a 4 chambered heart and a hard shelled egg. Are crocs birds....No. Do they have a common ancester....yes. Unless your kids are in their mid teens, I wouldn't go into it any further than this.

And remember this is a VERY VERY simplified explanation.:)

Here is a very simplified explanation. Fishes came out of the sea leading to primitive amphibians but the amphibians had to stay close to the water for body hydration and to lay eggs in the water. This led to a new animal that grew a protective skin to hold water and the ability to lay a hard shelled egg that could be laid on land for protection from predators and to create an enclosed watery environment for the foetus to grow. These were the first Dinos. From here they split into two groups, lizard hipped and bird hipped dinos. The bird hipped ones led to the TRex etc. One offshoot led to the Archaeopteryx then modern birds. The lizard hipped side had an offshoot that led to Crocodilians. The main similarities are a 4 chambered heart and a hard shelled egg. Are crocs birds....No. Do they have a common ancester....yes. Unless your kids are in their mid teens, I wouldn't go into it any further than this.

And remember this is a VERY VERY simplified explanation.:)
I don't have any kids, and don't plan to have any for a longgg time (if at all) but I would love for kids shows to give this sort of info out rather than just a blunt statement or even worse, incorrect facts.

Haha, love the crocoduck. I don't think I'd be having a picnic by that pond in a hurry. :p

Luckily for you Chantelle, unless you believe in ridiculous non-science you are safe from crocoducks. Also from fronkeys...

Wow that's crazy.
Would of definatley thought they were reps. I love hearing facts lie this. What's the name of that show?

Wow that's crazy.
Would of definatley thought they were reps. I love hearing facts lie this. What's the name of that show?
They are still considered to be reptiles, but they are more closely related to birds than they are to other reptiles.
Sorry, not sure on the name of the show as I didn't see the beginning.

Technically birds ARE reptiles. Birds may be a divergent branch of the reptiles but they considered to be "archosaurian reptiles" The only other surviving archosaurs are the crocodilia. The fact that birds are endothermic and all other living reptiles are ectothermic really does not mean much.

Nick

Technically birds ARE reptiles. Birds may be a divergent branch of the reptiles but they considered to be "archosaurian reptiles" The only other surviving archosaurs are the crocodilia. The fact that birds are endothermic and all other living reptiles are ectothermic really does not mean much.

Nick

Giant leatherback turtles are endotherms too.

How's that book going Nick?

Sorry Chantelle...read it wrong....Tried to make it for a 10yo, simple quick, add TRex into it and kept it under the 2 min attention span.:)

well there was a reptile with feathers and could glide back then so its more like birds came from reptiles

How's that book going Nick?

I never heard that about the leatherbacks, interesting. So endothermy evolved multiple times in reptiles and mammals independently.

The book is going well, Its almost ready for editing etc.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back