culling thought (good method for the softies)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny.Boy

Reaction score
hey guys, I just watched Jamie's fowl dinners (chicken & egg episode) and saw how they culled adult chickens.

it was really simple, they got a metal rod with electricity running through it and placed it on the chickens head for a few seconds.. done.

I was just thinking whether this could be an alternative to not having to fork out for CO2 or even better for the softies... clonking.

reckon this would be effective with rats and all the rest? pose any possible cons for snake food?

thoughts?

I imagine this would be the equivalent of a person being killed in an electric chair. Not exactly painless. Although I don't know enough about this method to comment on how humane it is.

Sounds a tad too dangerous and illegal to be a decent option. I'm not a squeamish person, but I think I'd prefer to clonk than to zap.

I think zapped rats would be fine for snake food though.

Maybe we could make little racks. We might even get rat secrets out of them.

the issue with the electric chair is it actually kills then revives, kills revives etc, until the heart gives out....

i got the impression with the rod thingy, it stuns, leaving alive, and they bleed to death....
not as painful as CO2 granted, but doesn't actually kill.... and yeah, far from safe or practical either.

people just need to start gassing without CO2, then it will be a painless humane death

I imagine this would be the equivalent of a person being killed in an electric chair. Not exactly painless. Although I don't know enough about this method to comment on how humane it is.

I don't think it would be, electric chair style executions went longer than say 2 seconds +/- and i think seings though the rat is so small it would be an instant and painless death.

you'd think the experts have a reason for this method because they used CO2 for the day old chicks but for some reason used the electricity on the adult chickens

they claimed it as being the most humane way and they DO know about CO2 because they use it on the chicks.

Thanks Dannyboy for thinkin of us softies! I've come to the conclussion that i'm not going to breed after all as im going to use the same space for a new Merten's enclosure, and the woman i get my rodents off sells at a pretty reasonable price anyway. I was just in one of those spur-of-the-moment moods where i had an idea and wanted to run with it but hadn't really thought about it!! I do enjoy breeding but it's just the clonking part that scares me a bit these days!

So any of you monitor keepers, please see my new thread!!

Thoughts? Teeth and bites.
How on earth would you hold it sill enough to have effective current going through the animal for it to happen humanely and quickly?

I can see 3 outcomes
(1) a dead Danny boy
(2) exploding rodents
(3) both the above

Thanks Dannyboy for thinkin of us softies! I've come to the conclussion that i'm not going to breed after all as im going to use the same space for a new Merten's enclosure, and the woman i get my rodents off sells at a pretty reasonable price anyway. I was just in one of those spur-of-the-moment moods where i had an idea and wanted to run with it but hadn't really thought about it!! I do enjoy breeding but it's just the clonking part that scares me a bit these days!

I could probably class myself as one of those softies.. I love all animals, but at the end of the day, snakes eat rats and it has to be done :|

Thoughts? Teeth and bites.
How on earth would you hold it sill enough to have effective current going through the animal for it to happen humanely and quickly?

being such a small animal, it'd be a quick touch to the head to stun and a second later to cull

Last edited:
I understand that too but if someone else can do it for you, why not. I never was like this until i stopped breeding and grew a heart, maybe...
I'll do it to the ones i have now to feed my young colletts but i'm in no hurry to feel the need to breed and kill 30 a week. too much effort when you can just buy them i guess.

Why not just put them in a freezer? It seems we do that for the smaller pests (we are told it is humane).

because apparently just sticking them in a freezer alive uses up their fat and energy resources, not to mention the bigger rats can stay alive for times around 24 hours (theres no way thats humane). leaving not as much goodness for the snake when digested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back