culling thought (good method for the softies)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the issue with the electric chair is it actually kills then revives, kills revives etc, until the heart gives out....

i got the impression with the rod thingy, it stuns, leaving alive, and they bleed to death....
not as painful as CO2 granted, but doesn't actually kill.... and yeah, far from safe or practical either.

people just need to start gassing without CO2, then it will be a painless humane death

i was under the impression gassing was humane and painless as long as a small does is given to knock em out then the full dose kills them once theyre already asleep,..?

have i missed something?

(i'm still buying them frozen btw, i dont think i could kill anything)

Yeah, you're right, gassing is cruel if done improperly. Passing out from it might not be painful, and this might have been confirmed by the zillion or so humans who have experienced it then revived and told the story, but hey, some internet site said it's inhumane.

I believe that there is strong evidence based on scientific research which suggests, nay, confirms that the only humane methods are boring them to death by reading herp forum threads to them or caring for them so well that their hearts explode from loving you too much.

Do any of you guys use either of these methods? No? :shock: Well hang your damned heads in shame and think about what you've done!

yeah, some internet site....

not a vast number of easily accessible peer review scientify journals....
no, i didn't say there were them....

i recall i said, here is just the very first thing that comes up if you do even so much as a google search....

but hey its not like i have crawled through university stacks looking up journal articles or anything...

It's a reptile forum, relax, you don't need to take it seriously; goodness knows I don't! ...you may have even detected a hint of humour and lack of desire to be taken seriously in my previous post ;)

Tell your vegan girlfriend to stop victimising those poor soya beans. Plants have rights too!

In all seriousness though, I have been exposed to high levels of CO2, I know many people who have, the world has no shortage of people who have passed out from hypoxia or exposure to too much CO2, and by all accounts it's not really unpleasant. You don't need to sit in the freezer until you pass out to know that it wouldn't be pleasant (in fact, it would be extremely nasty), and you don't need to be too cluey to understand that if you're completely fine one instant and dead the next, you didn't suffer. Some of this isn't relevant to reptiles, but it all applies to rodents other than pinkies. Even as someone who has done the stacks of books at uni thing, I don't think it's necessary for a comparison of these three methods.

between the practical home alternatives for us, i think CO2 is better.... (than freezing, electrocuting, a messed up braining etc)

but given the reference to the chick culling, there an argon gas is a practical alternative, hence the relevance here....

and yes juch a hint was detected

between the practical home alternatives for us, i think CO2 is better.... (than freezing, electrocuting, a messed up braining etc)

but given the reference to the chick culling, there an argon gas is a practical alternative, hence the relevance here....

and yes juch a hint was detected

Argon is quite expensive compared to CO2, however there is a blend of Argon and C02 called Migshield which is relatively common and Cheaper than pure Argon.

the electric shock didnt kill the chicken, it just knocked it unconcious, that way it could be bleed out. its seen as humane because after the shock, the chicken no longer feels any pain. so unless your planning on clonking them after zapping them, its pretty much pointless.

well i hadn't got that far into it yet, just thought about whether it could work or not. i was thinking that once they're in shock.. it wouldn't be too unbearable on a softie to clonk because they wouldn't see the animal go from kicking to not kicking. another thing i though was maybe while it was in shock then you could put it in the freezer, but i don't know. I don't think im going to use this method anyway.

Paint a little black hole on to a brick wall, scare them and make them run into the bricks, killing themselves.

Oh, no, that'd make them scared, which would be cruel.

Um... maybe starving them to death would be best.

Gunshot, point blank contact shot to the back of the head works every time, (although it doesn't leave much of a pinky)

I saw the Jamie Oliver special as well. The electric shock wasn't what killed the chicken. That just rendered it unconcious and unable to feel it's throat being cut internally so it could bleed out through the mouth and die. Because the animal is being eaten for human consumption it has to be bled, much like pigs, lambs and beef all need to be bled before we can eat them. We don't need to bleed rats and mice of course because our sankes require the "whole" food source.

Gunshot, point blank contact shot to the back of the head works every time, (although it doesn't leave much of a pinky)

:lol: I was going to say something about using steamrollers ;)

I used to kill pinkies by putting them into a plastic bag and whacking them against a wall. I tried this last year after not having done it for a few, and not remembering quite how hard to do it I figured I'd err on the heavy-handed side to ensure a quick kill. I erred a little too much, the bag split open and liquid pink mouse exploded everywhere! I think I found one or two legs which were recognisable, the rest was a homogenous red goo which was lightly splattered over everything within about a four metre radius! :lol: I needed a shower and change of clothes, and had to do a bit of cleaning, but don't worry, those pinkies did not suffer one tiny little bit! :lol:

Paint a little black hole on to a brick wall, scare them and make them run into the bricks, killing themselves.

Oh, no, that'd make them scared, which would be cruel.

Um... maybe starving them to death would be best.

starvation is the "humane" way we euthanise humans

Too right Forensick...it is too. My girlfriend watched her grandmother die in a nursing home recently and she was denied even a glass of water to dampen her lips and tongue as she was not entitled to meals as she was terminal. I was horrified, but apparently this is standard.

Too right Forensick...it is too. My girlfriend watched her grandmother die in a nursing home recently and she was denied even a glass of water to dampen her lips and tongue as she was not entitled to meals as she was terminal. I was horrified, but apparently this is standard.

Only because our government doesn't have the guts to introduce modern euthanasia laws such as in Europe...

And I'm not sure what the background is to your story, but as far as I'm aware, terminal patients are not routinely starved to death in Australia. :shock:

i didnt mean terminal patients per se...

catatonic/coma/brain dead types, where nothing is "alive" inside, but they still have to euth by starving (removing food tube)

Yeah, that's pretty messed up. My grandmother died like that. It was fair enough she had to die, she was extremely old, still alert and able-minded, but her body just gave out and couldn't keep the brain going. There was no reason to keep an old withered body alive when it was never going to be functional again. It would have been nicer to end it quickly rather than forcing her body to stay alive while it starved to death, but strange laws meant it had to be that way. She was being tube fed for a few weeks before they stopped feeding her. I'm sort of glad I was interstate at the time and had no say in the matter as it would have been a horrible responsibility.

Sdaji, to be allowed to do that, one MUST have a slaughterman's license. The method used did STUN the bird so it was unconcious, the "rod" put into the chicken's "head" (mouth) was, in fact, a sharp blade which was used in a certain way to cut an artery/vein, which resulted in the chicken being bled.

Sdaji, to be allowed to do that, one MUST have a slaughterman's license (Jamie had procured one for this program). The method used did STUN the bird so it was unconcious, the "rod" put into the chicken's "head" (mouth) was, in fact, a sharp blade which was used in a certain way to cut an artery/vein, which resulted in the chicken being bled.

On a lighter note....my husband once went to the chemist asking for some euthanasia pills for his wife who was home very ill (me!!!). The chemist was absolutely horrified. It turned out that what my husband actually meant was ECHINACEA tablets!!!!!! I had heard it was good to take when you have a cold.

:lol: Euthenasia pills :lol: Sounds like something ACME would make :lol:

Maybe we could get sexy female rat dolls made out of something conductive and hook 240V up to their tails, and when the males come up to get them they'll die.

We could try dropping anvils on them, but everything I've ever seen about dropping anvils on animals tells me that it just hurts them for a while, and a few seconds later everything goes dark and then light again and they've made a full recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back