Curious if this is legal or not

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingsofsephiroth

Reaction score
Hi guys! new here, and hoping im posting in the right section, basically someone has told my friend that his Jungle Rpm is illegal, he brought it through a reputable breeder and its registered and everything, is there any laws in queensland reguarding why his jungle rpm might be seen as illegal to own? or is this person just talking rubbish to try and get him to deal only with them. they sell snake cages and stuff along with being a '3rd gen' snake catcher, thought id check around for him. hope all this has made sense >.< and thanks for any info guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its registered on his license and all his paperwork and the breeders is in order it should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are laws against cross breeding in Queensland which is probably what the person is talking about. A jungle jag is a cross between Morelia spilota subspecies. I don't know if the rules extend to subspecies level though. There was a thread about it on here a while ago. Maybe try searching for it

thanks for the help guys :) i also talked to a few other people i know and found out his snake is fine, its just frowned upon because of a potential for a neurological disorder.

I was always confused about this...

So basically it is legal (although some frown upon it) to breed any Morelia spilota subspecies, just not cross any of those with a Bredli...?

This is why a while ago a guy from SA got done for having 20 or so Morelia spilota subspecies crossed with Bredli's?

So basically it is legal (although some frown upon it) to breed any Morelia spilota subspecies, just not cross any of those with a Bredli...?

This is why a while ago a guy from SA got done for having 20 or so Morelia spilota subspecies crossed with Bredli's?
It is how some people interpret the law that produces the difference in opinion.
Here is the rule in Queensland and you tell me what a hybrid or mutation is.

92 Restriction on breeding etc. hybrids of protected animals
(1) A person must not—
(a) knowingly breed a hybrid or mutation of a protected
animal; or
(b) abandon a hybrid or mutation of a protected animal in
the wild;
other than under a regulation or exemption under a regulation.
Maximum penalty—165 penalty units.
(2) A person must not release a hybrid or mutation of a protected
animal into the wild other than under a conservation plan for
the protected animal.[s 93]

Maximum penalty—165 penalty units or 1 year’s
imprisonment.

When was this? I know a few people with morelia subspecies crosses here in SA that have had no trouble. And considering Southern X Reptiles are known for having amazing Jags i highly doubt it is illegal.

I believe it is diamonds and bredli that cannot be cross bred here in SA, all others are fine to cross in the eyes of DEWNR.

Rick

It is how some people interpret the law that produces the difference in opinion.
Here is the rule in Queensland and you tell me what a hybrid or mutation is.

Restriction on breeding etc. hybrids of protected animals
(1) A person must not—
(a) knowingly breed a hybrid or mutation of a protected animal

I love this rule. So you cannot breed albinos if you knowingly keep to het for albino darwins?

The way laws are written can be very confusing and misread.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back