Cute Rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdaji

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
As long as we're breeding rats for snakes, we figure we might as well enjoy it, and since the snakes don't care about colours or patterns, I have a bit of fun choosing the unusual ones.

Patchrat.jpg

patchygirl.jpg

middleblaze.jpg

midblaze.jpg

Splodgykillers.jpg

Blazedbaby.jpg

Blazedmum.jpg

happymask.jpg

SupergothMug.jpg

MinkBlazed.jpg

Rats.jpg

Rubyandpinkeyedwhite.jpg

Bandygirl.jpg

We have lots of different colours too, as well as some pretty cool 'pattern pictures', but I think that's enough pictures for now!

Does anyone else have some unusual rats in their colonies?

Awesome rats.... I breed them and every litter there is a new pattern that i havent seen so i keep it then i end up having too many (because i like to keep all the kool patterned ones lol) so they usually end up as snake food anyway. The snake is just like MEH food yum...lol

aww, teh more ratty pix i see the more i wanna starve my snakes,...just kidding, ... i could never do anything other than defrost them tho. :(

Awesome rats.... I breed them and every litter there is a new pattern that i havent seen so i keep it then i end up having too many (because i like to keep all the kool patterned ones lol) so they usually end up as snake food anyway. The snake is just like MEH food yum...lol

Hehe, it's a bit like that. Snake keepers seem to prefer the albino rats for some strange reason (I think there's a misconception out there that white rats are from labs, or are somehow cleaner than coloured/patterned rats), but if it's not fun I am not interested, so I breed the pretty ones anyway. They behave the same as albino rats, they're equally nutritious, they grow and breed the same, but it keeps me interested. Some of the pet rat enthusiasts would stab their own grandmothers to get their hands on some of these fancy rats, they're a bit like albino snakes to us. That makes it feel a bit weird feeding them to the snakes, but it's either that or albinos.

Do you have any pictures of the new patterns you have produced? I would love to see them.

aww, teh more ratty pix i see the more i wanna starve my snakes,...just kidding, ... i could never do anything other than defrost them tho. :(

I know how you feel. We actually end up keeping a lot of them as pets, or sometimes we sell them to pet rat keepers. None of the ones in the pictures above are likely to end up in snake bellies.

So, choosing rats for colour and coat eh? It's a slippery slope you're on Sdaji. You'll be calling them "fancy rats" soon and going to meetings with other rat fanciers. Then you'll get rid of the snakes to focus on your rat breeding... <shudder>

-h

Aww I got to handle some lab rats last week that had never really been handled before and they were so sweet and inquisitive. Might have to get a pet one :p Also got to handle lab mice bred from wild lines and they were bloody psychos. Definitely going to feed mice for as long as I can.

Hehe, it's a bit like that. Snake keepers seem to prefer the albino rats for some strange reason (I think there's a misconception out there that white rats are from labs, or are somehow cleaner than coloured/patterned rats), but if it's not fun I am not interested, so I breed the pretty ones anyway. They behave the same as albino rats, they're equally nutritious, they grow and breed the same, but it keeps me interested. Some of the pet rat enthusiasts would stab their own grandmothers to get their hands on some of these fancy rats, they're a bit like albino snakes to us. That makes it feel a bit weird feeding them to the snakes, but it's either that or albinos.

Do you have any pictur
picture.php
es of the new patterns you have produced? I would love to see them.

picture.php
picture.php
here is the only one that stands out in this litter (sorry about the size and poor quality of the pics, im getting a goog camera on pay day lol) havent taken any pics of any others lol but their snake poo now

Eek! I'll have to work quickly on getting a new snake morph ready for market to distract myself from these furry abominations! :lol:

I've actually spoken to a few rat fanciers, they are insane, they make reptile people look like rational, sensible, intelligent folks. If I was to stick to their breeding rules my rats would end up sickly and genetically ruined. They are well intentioned for the most part though.

I know how you feel. We actually end up keeping a lot of them as pets, or sometimes we sell them to pet rat keepers. None of the ones in the pictures above are likely to end up in snake bellies.

phew, i think im about as relieved as those cute lil rats would be to hear that!! :)

Beaut rats Sdaji. I love the whites with head spots (sorry I don't know the fanciers name). The black ear'd one is excellent. Is it from a BEW line or hooded line?

Kind regards.

how cute! love the little patch!
hope you dont mind i add my little mice babies! there so adorable, my rats just had there first lot but there still pinkies! the variation in these lot are amazing! love how cute they all are.
in the second photo they are all kinda dapled, it doesnt show up that well but they look the best!

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 227
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 253
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Picture4.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 216
love the odd eyed, and the blaze, and the mismarked one xP and the 8th pic (the grey one) thats a mink, and its not really a pattern its just his coat changing color, he will go a dark grey and even out in color, i got three of em lol

how cute! love the little patch!
hope you dont mind i add my little mice babies! there so adorable, my rats just had there first lot but there still pinkies! the variation in these lot are amazing! love how cute they all are.
in the second photo they are all kinda dapled, it doesnt show up that well but they look the best!
hehe cute, you got agouti bubs :D

Ewan: She is from a black-eyed white line, but only one in every few hundred seems to come out like her. I may be able to make them more consistently with more selection. Time will tell.

rubysnake: Nice mice! The ones with the stripes are called brindleds, we have a lot of those too :) You can get a lot of variation in the colour of the stripes ranging from black, brown and many shades of grey (all with specific labels used by the mouse fanciers) and also in the ginger background ranging from rich ginger through to almost white. The amount of striping ranges from barely there at all through to completely coloured with just a tiny amount of the background ginger colour showing. They can also be more stripey or more blotchy.

Asharee: The odd-eyed is pretty cool :) We make lots of ruby-black odd-eyed, but pink-ruby is very rare. We have made thousands of minks over quite a number of generations :) The molt patterns are very cool, even if only temporary :) Sometimes they end up looking like racing stripes :)

Here are pictures of a range of our brindleds, all in black, just to show the variation in the amount of brindling (not showing any variation in colour)

Barely brindled
Brindle1pair.jpg

Slightly more brindling.

Brindle2pair.jpg

This boy is what I would describe as a typical brindled mouse.

Brindle5.jpg

Heavily-marked brindleds. We produce a lot with this amount of brindling, and the patterns can get interesting at this level.

Brindle7.jpg

Slightly more brindling again...

Brindle8.jpg

This final mouse has almost full brindling dorsally and on his left side, with a few larger patches of base colour on his right.

Brindle9.jpg

Brindle9L.jpg

heres a couple of my rats...have lots of hooded ones ( white with black and white with creamy ones) and some nice chocaltey brown ones with white stripes/patches on there belly. The brown ones start of quite brown and as they age they seem to get darker and darker. It is quite fun breeding rats and seeing all the diffrent colours/patterns that there are......im sure they all taste the same though!

Also have some brindled mice but nothing quite like those last few sdaji...

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_8153.JPG
    IMG_8153.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_8150.JPG
    IMG_8150.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 118
Ooh that little light grey patch on the 2nd ones head is really cool, David! I fed a really pretty rat the other day. At first I thought it was just a normal white one,but on closer inspection it had a really lovely,very pale lilac color. I fed it to my favourite snake :p which of course he didn't care about! I don't think I could ever breed and kill my own rats/mice. I'd end up falling in love with every litter,and become verrryyy over-run with them. Haha. Damned softie that I am :p

This is exactly the reason I don't let my kids in the shed anymore, every second rat would get a pardon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back