Cyclone for Xmas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope everyone is ok in Darwin

I guess you are all waiting it out. I just looked on the radar map on my iphone and what a few hours earlier looked like a bit of drizzle here and there now looks like one mother of a storm. And they reckon the cyclone will hit on Xmas day.....boy oh boy I hope youve all got some beer to sit this one out......

My thoughts are with you and your scaled ones that you are all safe and the worst thing that happens is you get a bit wet.

Elizabeth

Hope everyone is ok in Darwin

I guess you are all waiting it out. I just looked on the radar map on my iphone and what a few hours earlier looked like a bit of drizzle here and there now looks like one mother of a storm. And they reckon the cyclone will hit on Xmas day.....boy oh boy I hope youve all got some beer to sit this one out......

My thoughts are with you and your scaled ones that you are all safe and the worst thing that happens is you get a bit wet.

Elizabeth

Thanks mate! beer stockpiled!

any news ?

Just looked on the radar and it looks like it has passed ?? Overnight ??

I just tried to look at news updates and there isnt anything new.....the news broadcasters must be all slpeeing in because they can its the holidays !!

Hope you are all Ok

Elizabeth

any news ?

Just looked on the radar and it looks like it has passed ?? Overnight ??

I just tried to look at news updates and there isnt anything new.....the news broadcasters must be all slpeeing in because they can its the holidays !!

Hope you are all Ok

Elizabeth

Overnight it chucked a full U turn and is coming straight at us again. Tricky little bugger!

6561588673_8a2d7bf688.jpg

Like a drunk looking for a kebab at 3am.

Last edited:
Not wanting to put a spanner in the works, and I wish everyone well with it, but can I ask why (i am fully licensed builder of 25 yrs) do people assume the bathroom is the safest place?

Not wanting to put a spanner in the works, and I wish everyone well with it, but can I ask why (i am fully licensed builder of 25 yrs) do people assume the bathroom is the safest place?

A lot of the official information says that the bathroom is usually the strongest room. Is that wrong?

I know my bathroom isn't the safest place - it's in a shed outside!

Smallest room generally thought to be stronger, smaller window area.
If the worst case scenario happens and the roof goes you can lie in the bath with a mattress
over you.

From the news I read this morning it seems it's getting more and more likely to happen, but maybe these things can turn quickly, or not be as bad a predicted. Good luck to you all.

It's 998hPa at the centre... it's hardly even a low pressure system atm lol. This is why we all get complacent, the media beat stuff up and then nothing happens.

I know what you mean Gordo, Every low pressure system that sits in the coral coast is a potential cateagory 4 system that may cause havoc along the coast according to media, sweeten this with footage from past cyclones, floods etc and then they put another story straight after stating the tourism and visitor numbers are low.

Hmmmmm starting to get a little worried about my home in Oenpelli... Here's to hoping it keeps tracking south... And then dumps it's water in someone elses catchment!

Certainly looks like it's veering that way.
Hope you battened the hatches before you left.

Certainly looks like it's veering that way.
Hope you battened the hatches before you left.

Not too worried about the wind, i doubt the storm could be much more than a cat1 if it does pass through. But if the storm keeps tracking on the predicted path it's gonna smash Gunbalanya's catchment and because it's travelling Eastish it will probably come back and do it all again at the end of the week...

Best of luck, Gordo. Thinking of you, your dog and all in the NT.

Oh for shizzle... My place is in Oenpelli... each update is getting just that little bit closer lol.

IDD65001.gif

Looks like there will be a tonne of rain in the catchment!

Oh for shizzle... My place is in Oenpelli... each update is getting just that little bit closer lol.

IDD65001.gif

Looks like there will be a tonne of rain in the catchment!

lol

399935_10150446578728940_562618939_8680638_1326899019_n.jpg

Last edited:
We're doing our best to be sympathetic to our northern friends here in Melb. Just drove through the middle of this storm on my way home from xmas lunch. Twas a ripper.

6567843931_1553f30f62.jpg

The hail is golfball size out west vic.
I thought my car was going to get smashed by it
being parked outside, other cars were looking for trees to park under.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back