Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dig it up and get an autopsy, its the only way for sure you will know.

wa way way too late now... one poor eating juvie Antaresia, isn't worth the cost of a post mortem imo... unless you act fast and get the animal on ice asap, you could end up with all sorts of answers, esp if it's been buried in the ground!!!

sorry about your python. It may have had somethiong wrong with it but hard tyo say without vet testing.

can I ask what substarte you use in the enclosure? I have a feeling it might be Breeders Choice (or similar) which will suck the moisture from the enclosure making it a very dry environment with little humidity. That could cause the shedding problems.

just a theory but would be interested to know if the substrate used was breederd choice.

personally I would not consider using it in any snake enclosure. I find newspaper much better, more hygenic and disposable. I never have any shedding problems with any of my animals from hatchie to adult, and most shed in one complete shed.

I wouldn't use this "help shed" chemical concoction either.. If necessary just slightly warm water is all you need. A lot of these pet dhop reptile products in my opinion are just aimed at taking your money from you rather than being of any real benefit.

I just use newspaper as I find it much easier to keep clean.

ok. excellent choice too by the way.
Its a bit of a mystery then.. How did you keep your snake? I assume it was reasonably young? I'd suggest a smaller tub environment with newspaper substrate, that sits about a third to half on a heat mat thats controlled by a thermostat and probe at about 28-30 deg hot end with the cooler end a few degrees less. water bowl at cool end and hide at hot end. I put my air holes in the lid at the hot end as the hot air rises. I find they thrive in these tubs while growing and have no shedding problems etc.

A small python kept in a huge (adult snake) type enclosure never do as well as in smaller enclosures while they are growing.

hope you figure it out and dont get too discouraged by this loss.best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back