dead snake.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fongaspythons

Reaction score
Hello,I found my carpet python dead the other morning.
He was heathy looking not skinny at all,hadnt been fed for a couple of months becouse of cold temps arount 8-10 degres.
The night before he passed i noticed a bit of sticky clear liquid around hes mouth as he was rubbing hes head on the glass,I took this as he was going to shed.
When i got him out i noticed under hes head there was a couple ff red spots.
Any ideas to what was wrong with him,I have another carpet python in there with him so i will keep eye on her.

Thanks to all that read and reply.

"i noticed a bit of sticky clear liquid around hes mouth" with this l believe "R.I" to be a strong possibility.......solar 17 (Baden) :(

Your other snake is mostly likely on the same path if it shares the same conditions.

Do your snakes have heating, why are you letting their temps get so low?

cold temps ? 8 - 10 Deg ??
Hope you still gave him hot temps during the day !!
RI IS DEFINATELY THE CAUSE.
What a way to go..............poor bugger.:cry:

Its a sad to time to say this but l don't know of a valid reason why any "captive" reptile needs to be allowed to get below 15-16 overnight and 32-34 during the day and secondly from April through to September ppl/keepers be VERY vigilant for stomatitis (mouth rot) as its commonly called and R.I symptoms for both of these conditions are mouth stretching (similar to yawning) but snakes don't go clubbing or sit up on the inernet all night so continual mouth stretching can be a warning sign or "ANY" fluid or moisture around the mouth or crackly breathing sounds although sometimes this can be a shed/slough but still worth investigating (THOROUGHLY).....just saying ...solar 17 (Baden) :)

Good that Baden raised the issue of stomatitis (mouth rot) - is usually a follower after prolonged respiratory infection, and is highly contageous. It is extremely likely that the cagemate will go down the same path unless urgent action is taken. Firstly, a vet visit for the remaining snake, then a complete and thorough cleaning and sterilisation (with bleach) of the enclosure, and more appropriate temperature regime, and antibiotic therapy if prescribed.

Jamie

This is making me worry a little. My coastals mouth is a little crackly at the sides. But she just recently shed so that might be it. I'll keep a close eye on it.

Sorry to hear about your snake, hope your other one checks out.

Its a sad to time to say this but l don't know of a valid reason why any "captive" reptile needs to be allowed to get below 15-16 overnight and 32-34 during the day and secondly from April through to September ppl/keepers be VERY vigilant for stomatitis (mouth rot) as its commonly called and R.I symptoms for both of these conditions are mouth stretching (similar to yawning) but snakes don't go clubbing or sit up on the inernet all night so continual mouth stretching can be a warning sign or "ANY" fluid or moisture around the mouth or crackly breathing sounds although sometimes this can be a shed/slough but still worth investigating (THOROUGHLY).....just saying ...solar 17 (Baden) :)

I think a lot of this comes about by a lack of understanding about brumation etc
I really wonder how many wild snakes dont survive a bad winter
We are in Bali and after an extended cold snap the number of retics with stomasis we rescue runs at about 40%
burmese run at more than that with RI
Our temps are much higher than Aus and a cold snap here is about 15c for a week or so

I fully understand our snakes are acclimatised differently
Also totally agree that there is no reason to let captive snakes get down around 10c
RI and stomasis can be very nasty to get rid of and frequently have long lasting effects on any snake

"i noticed a bit of sticky clear liquid around hes mouth" with this l believe "R.I" to be a strong possibility.......solar 17 (Baden) :(
Could this possibly be the sunshine virus or is it more likely RI? I have just heard on a lot of sites that this is around a lot at the moment.

ive bleached the whole enclosure unpluged the faulty thermostate and she is getting warm now.i will keep a extra eye on her.

I've been surrogate owner of a snake for 4 weeks and know that a discharge, bubbling or wheezing abnormal lying position, repetitive yawning can indicate a respiratory infection.

The main causes I believe are prolonged low temperatures, wrong humidity for species combined with poor enclosure hygiene. Even having an enclosure which is too small can be a contributing factor.

I have ensured with our pet that the basic environmental requirements needed to minimise the risk of opportunistic disease have been met. I.E Correct temps for Species, UV if Required, Clean Shelter, and adequate nutrition

I made sure that before I jumped into reptile ownership I educated myself on the subject.

I am sorry for your loss but more so for your snake.

I don't want to sound callous or rude but the number of posts by reptile owners who have failed to address their own basic eduction needed to keep their pets healthy has really surprised me.

Take your dead snake to a vet. Find out why he died, and if it was preventable,institute changes so it doesn't happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back