Dealing with snake poop!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick-G

Reaction score
Hay guys so iv had an 8 yr old carpet for about a month now, he's had a couple feeds, and after so many days after the feed as usual he poops and pees a massive load, my question is what techniques have worked for people getting rid of poop quick and easy or getting them to do it out of there enclosure, I have read alot that after 5 or so days after the feed people take there python outside on the grass nd they do there business there, I find this hard to believe as mine did some of its turd the first day Wich I cleaned out of the tank with a plastic bag, then he did another load the next day, I cleaned again! And then another lot today! It's becoming annoying lol can anyone please help make it easier can snakes be toilet trained per say! Haha! Cheers for any feed back!
Nick.

Yes, my older pythons all poop on the lawn. It's all by calculation. Figure out how long yyour snake usually take from feed to poop, then take him out around the time each time. When they stretch they seem to feel the loo urge

my BHP thinks its fun to hold it untill he is on my bed then he lets go

If it pooped the first or second day, then that was from the feed before. Depending on the nature of the feed item and a whole lot of other factors, it takes anywhere from a minimum 4 days to 4 weeks for a meal to be fully digested and the wastes eliminated from the body. The exception is if your snake as diarrhoea.

The muscles in a snake’s gastro-intestinal tract are not like those of vertebrates like ourselves. They lack the layers of muscle we use to move the contents of the digestive tract along. The lck of these muscles in snakes allows the gastro-intestine tract to shrink remarkably during long periods of enforced fasting. That way energy is not wasted on maintaining muscles that are not being utilised.

The contraction of the body wall when actively moving from one place to another, and the internal pressure this places upon the intestines, moves any faecal matter that is ready to be elimination out of the rectum. You can have the same effect by handling the snake and letting it ‘glide’ through one hand to the other.

An 8ft carpet would not need to be fed any more frequently than once every two weeks at the most. So try letting it roam around in the back yard for up to 20 to 30 minutes one day a week. It will be good for the snake even if it does not poop and good for you just to watch it. I do, however, think it will do the trick. It normally only takes 5 to 10 mins of movement, if that, for them to defecate, if they are ready to do so.

Blue

Snakes don't poo on a schedule. but having a slither every so often seems to stimulate there bowels, but as Blue said only if the snake needs to go.

My diamonds the worst for crapping with a bit of movement, but he doesnt care if hes draped around my shoulders on the grass or in his enclosure- if he moves, he poos... (well he's not quite that bad, but i have copped a couple of big turds in my lap.)

Just be glad y'all don't have blood/short tail pythons. They wont go until they are full full. It may be longer than a month from what I understand. I have had the "pleasure" of seeing pictures that folks have posted when asked what a "normal" blood poo looks like. It really is a load...haha!

Snakes don't poo on a schedule. but having a slither every so often seems to stimulate there bowels, but as Blue said only if the snake needs to go.

My diamonds the worst for crapping with a bit of movement, but he doesnt care if hes draped around my shoulders on the grass or in his enclosure- if he moves, he poos... (well he's not quite that bad, but i have copped a couple of big turds in my lap.)

roflmao Sarah that is to funny.....maybe I should give smaller feeds for him in future instead of bigger ones? atleast that way when you cop it it'll be smaller :lol:

roflmao Sarah that is to funny.....maybe I should give smaller feeds for him in future instead of bigger ones? atleast that way when you cop it it'll be smaller :lol:

Roflmao- Lisa this week should be great, he had 2 of the smaller ones from last delivery, so it should be a good one this week. lucky for me hes toilet trained- that is he goes whenever and wherever he feels like.

With my carpet, I just watch the shape of the tail end. When it's bulging to a certain degree, I know the time is getting close. I take her out on the lawn regularly, but I know that when she's bulging, I definitely need to get her out. In four months, I've only had to clean out the tank once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back