Definitive Diamond Temps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond_newbie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new here, but saw how helpful everyone is and knew I needed to join!

So my new male diamond python will be arriving in several weeks, his picture is attached (i think). He is still young so I won't be cooling him for Winter until at least next year or year after. So I've got plenty of time to get his large enclosure ready but I want to make it RIGHT.

For now he will be living in a large click clack similar in size to what he was in at breeders. The click clack will have a constant temp of 30 at hot end and 24 at cool end, using a heat cord. Hides at both ends, water bowl large enough to fit in at cool end, newspaper on floor, few sticks (bark removed and no mites) to climb on. first question, as long as it is reading 30 on floor under hot hide, is it ok for air surrounding to not be that hot?

Now for his big enclosure, which I will not move him to for some time and may even partition for a while until he grows. This enclosure is big, 5 foot high, 4 foot wide and 2 foot deep. It has vents at the bottom to allow cool clean air in. second question, should I put another vent at top to allow excess hot air to escape or will this make ambient temps cool to quick?
Obviously I wouldn't put vent right next to thermostat.

Now, perhaps my question that will cause the most debate. what temps should large enclosure be at and for how long?

From the group Diamond Pythons Australia, this is where I have got to:

Summer: light (full spectrum UV) as outside hours, 30 degree basking spot available four or five hours a day. Remainder of time enclosure to cool to ambient room temps. Hides at various heights throughout enclosure, so snake may choose a safe spot at various temps. Will provide gently heated hide at night after eating for digestion.

Winter: light (full spectrum UV) as outside hours so shorter than Summer, 30 degree basking spot available 2 or 3 hours a day. Remainder of time enclosure to cool to ambient room temps. Hides at various heights throughout enclosure, so snake may choose a safe spot at various temps. Will provide gently heated hide on very cold nights.

I will change light and heat cycle gradually so as not to shock snake. Now the reason I'm so confused about whether this is right or not is that there seems to be a great deal of debate on temps. I'm not concerned about the UV debate as my enclosure is set to provide it and it seems that although it may not be beneficial, it won't hurt, so Ill use it.

Perhaps responders could say what they think, what they dowith their Diamonds and how long they have been keeping their Diamond Pythons.

phew, sorry that was SO long. Any help and advice very much appreciated!
Thanks
JoJo x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 104
What an amazing high yellow hatchy!!!!! Congrats :D

Click-clack sounds all good to me.

In the big enclosure ambient temps on the hot side should sit at 27-30degrees, no hotter as this species comes from a cool climate. Should stay at a 24 hour heat cycle with a 2degrees temp drop at night (optional). During the breeding or cooling season just turn temperatures off at night and regain the normal 30 degrees basking spot during the day.

Can't help with the vent thing...personally I would block one of the ones at the bottom and put one at the top too to get a good cycle.

It is helpful to look at temperatures in the snakes natural range. Ambient temperature means the natural unadulterated temperature, and today in the diamond homeland it probably ranges from say 22 down to zero. To maintain an ambeint temperature of 27 to 30 is too hot for diamonds or any Aussie python.The whole idea of setting up a temperature gradient in a snake cage is to allow the snake to select the temperature which suits it. If you provide a temperature range from say 30 to 20 somewhere in between will suit the snake. Just remember that in a captive environment a snake has less choices of different environments, than in the wild, so you have to provide something close to what it needs without the extremes.

To maintain an ambeint temperature of 27 to 30 is too hot for diamonds or any Aussie python.

Meant basking spot there, not ambient temperature :facepalm: Brain Fart lol, sorry guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back