Designing Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysteryman

Not so new Member
Reaction score
just wanted some opinions on the size of my proposed enclosures.

View attachment enclosure.pdf

are the individual box sizes enough to keep adults of the different breeds?

i can jumble the boxes around if anyone can recommend a better way off making them fit (working size 3.6m Long x 1.8m / 2.0m high) - my tv wall is only 3.7 / 3.8m long

i can't wait to jump in and start making this bad boy

once my size is set i can start on the nitty gritty stuff like doors, hinges, locks and of course heating (thinking heating cable)

thanks in advance

Pete

I can't see you having any dramas with those sizes. just one thing... make sure you are going to be able to manouver it around through doors and stuff, I just have enough room down hallways etc to turn a 1200mm X 1900mm long into the rooms.

Andrew

looks good. Might find the reps a bit distracting when watching the Plasma tho .I know that I would & make that spot for another snake

oh i forgot to mention the whole thing would be 600mm deep.

access wouldn't be an issue cause i'll be assembling it in the lounge room, stuff the idea of moving it / transporting it.

problem of making each individual enclosure is i would use twice or 3 times the materials :(

but i think if i did sell the house it might have to stay there, cause i wouldn't really want to move it, at least i could list it on Aussie pythons market place "snake enclosure + 5 bdrm house + 2 car garage" - will swap for GTP's :)

hmmmm i didn't even think of noise / heat from the tv, i guess thats why we all ask the q's

i already have the plasma, but i'm not sure if the heat output would affect the boxes too much as i'm not fully enclosing the tv. the tv will have full ventilation at the back (where most of the heat ends up) and overhead will be open as well.

do you think the sound from the tv will affect the snakes? i don't really ever have it up too loud cause it would wake up the baby (human, incase you were thinking otherwise).
also not really in to sound systems / bass so it's just normal talking volume tele, maybe the odd wiggles dvd.

Yeah well if it's sitting right on top it wouldn't need to be up very loud to go through the whole rack. There have been a few threads about how much sound affects their behaviour that you might wanna read through. I'm not sure what the general consensus is about it though so you might be alright

I wouldn't think the heat would be a issue but you would get vibrations I would imagine. Vibrations seem to have different effects on snakes depending on the vibration. I am no expert but my brother playing guitar/drums does seem to annoy mine sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acoustic Foam can be laid under the TV or even sandwiched between two boards if the foam doesn't look nice. This will absorb vibration and some of the noise directly. The rear of each enclosure can also have this foam which can help with any reverb sound between the wall and the enclosures. Think of it like sound shielding and not necessarily proofing.

The location of the TV won't be a heat issue other than radiant heat which the wood will be insulating against.

foam between the boxes and its not the volume u worrie about its the weird threatening vibrations rattling through the whole thing.
the heat mainly comes out of the top of the tv but if built right you could use the heat from the tv to add extra heat taking stress and wattage off your heating system... combined with acoustic foam could make fore something unusual and functional

edit, you have to have 30 cm ventilation for an lcd/plasma on each side or it can be a fire hazard, its in the guidelines of your tv manual and warranty
the heat coming out of the new flat screens is rather large i used my heat gun just then and the back of my tv unit(vent area) is flowing between 44 and 56C
and thats just 2 vent area...

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about the heat or sound, Virides idea can be used if you are worried. What are you making it out of? And what glass are you using?

16mm melamine is the main body material, and i'm leaning towards perspex doors on hinges rather than sliding doors as i think the perspex will hold heat a bit better than glass (safer with the kidies around too)

The boxes on either side of the tv will only come up just under halfway of the tv's height, but i guess i'll have to keep an eye on it.

If it doesnt work i'll just fill the tv compartment in and buy another snake.

Keep the advice coming, loving everones thoughts on my new project

If your anything like me and my 50inch i also have my cages next to my tv and i spend hardly anytime watching it once i can see my snakes

Update:

I have ordered the melamine from bunnings cut to size today. My pieces added up to 7 full 1200x2400 sheets $210 for the 7. I did shop around with a couple timber suppliers i deal with at work and they were offering $55 / sheet which is crazy compared to bunnings $35ea.

I will pick it all up tomoz, bring on the DIY weekend

I wouldn't worry too much about the heat or sound, Virides idea can be used if you are worried. What are you making it out of? And what glass are you using?

Neither would I, check out derek roddy's video clips on you tube.... If he can do blast beats on drums and play with a band in his room with the snakes and they still eat and mate no dramas. I've asked him about this before and he reckons it has had no effect on his snakes.

IMG_0920.jpgIMG_0919.jpgIMG_0925.jpg

My Work will be getting a water Cutter in a few weeks, i'm thinking of using perspex doors and cutting the holes for hinges + Locks with the new machine so i don't crack the panels if i were to drill them. i know glass would be ok for the smaller sections but i'm a bit worried about the larger ones. especially with small kids playing in the house the last thing i need is to carry spare glass panels in the spare room for when (not if) the kids smash the glass.

unless y'all can suggest a door material better than glass or perspex?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back