Developing Embryo

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHEWY

Reaction score
I had some eggs come into my care as the nest in the wild had been destroyed by natural causes.
Most eggs are now dead, but a few remain.
I find the stages of growth of embryos fascinating... In reptilia or otherwise.
I have no idea how far along this guy is but i think he died due to desiccation.
Thought I'd share. Anyone want to have a guess at species?
90afe233.jpg

jacky jacky or boyds forest. eyes are always large at this stage as they are the only thing that doesnt get any bigger with age and take longest to develop in any embryo

OH My God Its a Chupacabra!!! kill it! kill it!!!!
nah lol maybe a baby angle head or something

Yeah Anto,
It is an Eastern Water Dragon. And its wing is actually its left arm.
Nothing mythological about it.

I figured it was - based on the head shape and the size of the eyes and location (no Tommy Roundheads).

It is a long time since I did embryology but I will take a punt at it if you like. Just don’t quote me. To put a time frame on it I would say it’s about the equivalent of the start of the human third trimester – so about two thirds of the way through development. All organs would be present and close to being fully differentiated or already functional. You still have the eyes to fully develop and the brain would still be differentiating but most bits just require further growth, include the scales. If you open the mouth you should be able to see the teeth already.

If you have seen a chicken egg opened at that stage, you would appreciate how bird-like the foetus is. Would make for a good “alien” in a movie.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back