Diamond Pythons Soaking.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hugsta

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I have a pair of diamonds and since coming out of hibernation have spent virtually every second day totally submerged in their water dish other than just their nostrils. Sometimes together sometimes not and have observed the female in there for several days.
I thought they may have mites but i checked them and there is no sign of mites. The tanks temperature is around 25-28degrees down to around 20degrees. They both are still feeding well-every week to two weeks. The female is about 4yrs and male about 2 1/2 yrs. They both shed a couple of weeks ago and continue to soak.
This activity has been going on for over a month now and am not sure if there is anything wrong with them or if it is normal.
Any help would be appreciated. :?

Well my initial thought was mites but as you have checked for this it is unlikely. Are you absolutely certain that they don't have them? It can be good to check the water they soak in for signs of mites that have drowned as sometimes they can be VERY difficult to see when actually on the snake. Also check in the fold of skin under the jaw for mites too as this is a very popular spot for them to hide out. Failing any of this I haven't got a clue unless they just enjoy a soak. Maybe one of our more experienced members will come up with some suggestions. Good Luck.

Hugsta,
I like most and yourself would have initially said mites, but if it's not that I would ask you if your snakes have shed since they have emerged from Hibernation, sometimes if a snake gets put into hibernation just beofre it wants to shed the shed sort of sticks and so when they emerged weeks later, so have one very uncomfortable snake that feels the need to soak until they can rid themselves of te skin, however if both snakes are doing it, it would be one hell of a coincidence! So, might not be the case.

Also, snakes usually come out a bit dehydrated from their cooling, even if you have had water in their viv, but I wouldn't have thought that they would have spent several days in the water bowl.

Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Regards,
Neil

Sometimes if a snake stays in the water dish the results can be fatal ie: phenomia and canker i gust read it in a book

Thanks for the info. I checked the water dish for any signs of mites to no avail, however it is changed every day. I will treat them for mites just in case, so I don't get an infestation if this is what my be causing it. I don't need the rest of my reptiles being infested either.
Better safe than sorry
Thanks

I wouldn't treat for mites unless you can see signs that they are there just keep a close eye on them daily.
I can't offer a reason as to why they are soaking perhaps they are a bit dehydrated after hybernation?
Why not offer water in a smaller dish that they can't soak in or remove the bowl altogether for a day or two then observe what they do without it?

cheers M........

That is strange, My old female diamond is lying in the bowl for past few days like yours. No mites and vet checked her just 4 days ago. She is eating well and acting normal otherwise.

:p One of my new diamonds soaked everyday up untill i put him in to breed,i have had a couple that have enjoyed soaking no mites no probs health wise maybe its just something that they need every now n then.I also have an olive that enjoys a regular dip but i think thats more to piss me off,goes in splashes around so i have to clean her out.The diamond that enjoyed a soak aswell as the olive tend to soak after eating which was weird as i thought they would bask after eating. :p

It probly soaked after eating to take the weight off the prey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back