Diamond Syndrome

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michael

Reaction score
What would be the chance of Diamond Syndrome in a cross breed of a Diamond & Coastal Python?

Thank you
Michael

what is it exactly? ive heard of the 7 year thing but what cause?

theorys then? too high captive temps? insufficient uv?????? whats the physical cause of death? folk must have autopsies done?
genetic weak immune system through cb? any common symptoms/ conditions?

Theroy. There appears to be a combination of causes for DPS. These are.1) Lack of UV lighting. Just adding UV lighting has shown to reverse DPS symptoms. 2) Consistant temperatures. Diamonds are not tropical and temps in their home range vary greatly from day to day. Variations of day temps in cages appear to help again. 3) Overfeeding. Do not feed as often as you would other python species.

As for syptoms you get loss of muscle tone, loss of skin strength, loss of appetite, loss of motor functions,the shakes, and finally death.

Thats a damn shame. Does anyone know of links toany studys done into DPS? Has shine ,weigal etc done any?

Sadly there has not been enough research yet to establish if any of these theories are correct. The theories Bob listed have come from keepers who have kept diamonds long enough. There is simply not enough conclusive evidence/proof yet. Hopefully as the hobby continues to grow, so will the data.

It really gives me the irates when people say Diamonds are no harder to keep than your average carpet.

So, if I was considering a Diamond, living in sydney, i should?

Get a juvie big enough to cope with winter outside here and house it outdoors so it gets varied temps, heaps of uv and natural cycles and feed once a month? will this give it the best hope of survival beyond 7 years being in as natural conditions as possible?
any theory on diet related possibilties with diamonds? seeing as theyd get birds etc in the wild?
could variation of diet be a factor?
I would really love to have a diamond, they are a beautiful python, but Id hate for it to succome after a short life. whats the record age for an ozzy pyth? anyone know?

Would a uv tube be required or would 10-15 mins of natural sun every few days be fine?

Jay

natural sun beats the crap out of any tube for uva/uvb output, outside is the best uv source for any reptile, as often as possible. That said if its inside for most time, a tube certainly wont hurt, but get the highest output, atleast .5 and set on atleast 12 hrs daily. Keeping in mind thias will bugger your photoperiod in winter (if your cooling forbreeding). Even then ,they must be very close to the tube to get any benifit and tube will be not putting out much after 6 months or so. There are other kids of uv lights but this work as basking lights putting out heat. Take it outside regularly imho :)

abt dimond syndrome

:arrow: Was reading yesterday that diamond syndrome was visible in captive snakes when continualy housed inside. In snakes 7-10 yrs old, they say that diamonds in outdoor enclosures, (especially if you live where they are commonly found) is great, and no signs of the syndrome have been observed in them.
The other thing was to have an inside/outside cage that you can seperate so they can go outside during day and inside at night. They also found that snakes kept in inside enclosures were less likely to develop this syndrome if they have varying temps in the cage. For example, 28-32 day time and 22-26 all year round if you want to breed them... :p The other book said about the same thing :p

Up until about two weeks ago Id had my juvie diamond and another two young snakes (proserpine and atherton) lights hooked upto an electronic thermostat (set to come on if temp fell below 26 during the day, or 20 during the night- though they only get to about 22), but then the diamond's light stopped working (tried other bulbs, so it was a wiring issue). Was planning on fixing it the first few days, but the temp seemed to still be fine (24-26 day, 21-22 night), her body temp still seems fine, shes more 'energetic' than before and seems to be using more strength than before (not that she was lethargic) when attacking prey and when wrapped around my hand. The room gets alot of light during the day so not having a light in her cage doesnt seem to have affected her day/night cycle.
My point is do diamonds necessarily require a heat source in inside their cage, and if shes receiving varied temps throughout the day from the basic room temp fluctuations does she require an outside enclosure for the day or permanently?

Jay

Jay,

I think that you will find that most reptiles need a temperature gradient so that they can choose the temperature they want. if you dont have one that is fine but you need a hot and and a cool end. Your cage may end up all the same temperature.

Perhaps with a diamond you could use a small heat source at one end that is not on a thermostat. On colder days the cage will be cooler, on hotter days it will be hotter. You may even like to have it on for a shorter period so the cage doesn't get too hot..

Thats what I had my intergrade on for the first 2 years of her life. She is now 9 and still going very strong.

For diamonds is uv light a necessity?

Is it possible to keep hatchling, juvie diamonds in a rack type system without uv?

Has symptoms of DPS been shown in all localties of the diamond?.

re Diamond

Its back again diamond syndrome :lol: Well forget about UV people keep them too hot hundreds perish,they must have a hibernarion period and be able to go to ground when it gets hot ,thats how they survive bushfires.The reason people have trouble with them is that there habits are mainly reported in publications as breeding reports and slip and shine with hibernation sights etc That was my focus too but now i think about other things like why were they hiding in the ground,at the time i thought it was to escape the heat but i didnt know how much trouble reptile keepers had with them :)

It really gives me the irates when people say Diamonds are no harder to keep than your average carpet.
I'm not trying to start a fight but isn't that like saying shinglebacks are harder to keep than bluetongues because they commonly get respiratory problems with high humidity?
Basically you just need to adapt to keeping the snake slightly different to your tropical animals and it should be as easy to keep.
IMO The southern seasonal cycle (winter cooling) changes the balance of hormones in southern reptiles, therfore used for breeding etc. etc. so I think if a diamond isn't cooled it can't undergo its natural yearly cycle and doesn't get the same hormone stimulation it normally would.

re Diamond

More than just hibernation jordo they must be able to escape heat or they die if you kept them indoors you need a system like TBs that makes an effort to provide some relief from heat as well as providing it.If kept outdoors they must be able to escape heat once they need to and thats underground in summer.If these reliefs are not provided they will snuff it slowly with flabby body and tumours and other secondary conditions such as stomatitis.Contrary to what you read snakes that are kept constantly warm die slowly from a variety of secondary conditions they dont always die immediately,diamond pythons are just more susceptible to overheating than others because their color takes in energy from heat more readily than others. :)

There is a wonderful care sheet in the "care sheet" section (I think). We also have the worlds foremost expert on Diamond Pythons right here with us. H eis also from the wonderful town of Midian!! Come on ST, wheres your comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back