Diamond with stuck eyecap.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazed

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Okay so long story short I saw these people selling a diamond python that was 2.5 yrs old etc on facebook and I decided to buy it as these people were not looking after him properly. I found the night I brought him home that his right eye looked as if the cap was stuck. It was extremely sunken in. I messages these people to ask them and they didn't even know! If it is an eye cap from a shed it looks like its been there a while. I've been doing all the necessities to help remove it and as well as repeated baths he shed last night and it didn't come off. Checked his shed and there was two brille present. I'm planning on taking him to the vet asap but just wanted to know any thoughts and suggestions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 150
If the last shed was ok and both caps came of with the shed it may be an infection ? or something else.I would be leaving it and see what the Vet has to say.When it's shedding next time make sure the cage is humid so it has no problems shedding.

If the last shed was ok and both caps came of with the shed it may be an infection ? or something else.I would be leaving it and see what the Vet has to say.When it's shedding next time make sure the cage is humid so it has no problems shedding.

Thanks for the reply but I always mist all my snakes tanks when they are in shed. So thats not a problem. His skin came off nice and perfect and moist and this time I bathed him etc for a bit of extra help.

you can gently wipe over the eye with a wet cotton bud. (gently!!) I have also seen a diamond python with cataracts before it looks very similar to opaque eyes.

Thought I should update on this. After awaiting my diamond's shed, his skin came out full intact with both brille. But his eye stayed the same. Visited vet and it appears he has had some kind of external trauma and it has been this way for quite sometime. It is causing him no discomfort but one day will have to be removed. For now he is fine to live with his eye how it is.

Thought I should update on this. After awaiting my diamond's shed, his skin came out full intact with both brille. But his eye stayed the same. Visited vet and it appears he has had some kind of external trauma and it has been this way for quite sometime. It is causing him no discomfort but one day will have to be removed. For now he is fine to live with his eye how it is.
Good on ya mate for taking him in, I think he will manage, a snake could like without its sight if captivity fine, perhaps even the wild.

Good on ya mate for taking him in, I think he will manage, a snake could like without its sight if captivity fine, perhaps even the wild.

Yeah he can't see out of it very well at all but his aim is still perfect and coordination is fine too. Will only have to get his eye removed once the scar tissue becomes too dense. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back