Diamonds as a first snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy09

Reaction score
i have been looking at getting a snake for ages now and yesterday someone showed me there beautiful diamond hatchlings and a photo of there mum and my mum actualy said that the mum is beautiful.
so im wondering if people will recomend them as a first snake (ive heard that they are a really good handling species but i want to hear what everyone thinks)

Diamonds are great pythons, can be abit difficult with feeding sometimes, but all pythons can be, and most diamonds are a breeze to handle but as with all species there is always a handful that are opposite.

would be a great first snake, i have only recently got myself a hatchy diamond, and she is the most placid little girl.
you wouldnt regret it!

My diamond is my second snake,
love the little guy!
Certainly not a difficult feeder...eats anything quite readily!

No doubt they're lovely.

I just got my first and she's a Diamond Hatchling, she's a sweetie and never knocks back her food.
My son has a jungle 2.5 yrs, he's pretty laid back and handles well.

Diamonds are certainly a beautiful snake. My little one is a sibling to vampstorso's little diamond- only a few months old. Can't see why they wouldn't be a good first snake, just like with any other snake do your research so you know their care requirements and adult size etc

First snake.

I got my diamond as a first snake & have never had a problem.
Give them a good enclosure with a nice cool spot that they can get to.
I keep mine indoors & usualy turn the heaters off at night.
Please dont cook your diamonds they dont like it.

Oh god sammy, talk about a newbie question *facepalm* ;)
Diamonds need cooler temps than most pythons, and it is thought that they need UV, best to supply it just in case.

Research all you can on Diamond husbandry including DPS and then make up your own mind as to the suitability of this species to to you!

Give your hatchy a warm end of 30 -35 degrees 24/7 and leave the cool end to whatever the temperature is in the room at the time.

we keep our diamonds in an enclosure without heat lamps just a light same as your fridge light take them outside 1 or 2 times aweek there going great, had them in enclosure with uv light, heating all the usual suspects had lots of trouble feeding getting them settled talked to the bloke i bought them from basically got told to just let them go natural and they go great havent had any trouble since at present enclosure reading about 24 and
still feeding every second week like usual everyone mighten agree but it works for us

I believe that just about any python is suitable for a first snake - if you do the proper research and undertake the husbandry required to give that snake what it needs to be happy and healthy. (There are obviously practical exceptions to this - a scrubbie for a child's first python is probably not a good idea!)

As others have said, do the reading. If you're keen enough on the snake this won't be a chore. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back