different reptiles allowed in differ states, why?????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah_m

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This may be a silly question but i was wondering why different states dont allow people to keep the same herps. Example, i was looking on herp trader and saw pig nosed turtles for sale in NSW but i looked at the list of reptiles covered by the licence in VIC and they arent there. Also saw another species of turtle and as part of the ad it specified that they would freight around Oz except VIC. Another example is rough scaled pythons.
Dont understand, not as if they are native to NSW and not VIC.
Does anyone know or have any ideas??????

im guessing its the same way the police work in different states. Instead of federal passed laws the buck gets passed to the states and they individually table laws without consultations between the states. Another example maybe with the Federal PBS in relation to medicines and drugs. The uk or Leading european country has run a five year study on a new drug and is availiable there but we dont access their reports or info the Govt then initiates its own 5 year study, wasting 5 years to get the same results. MADNESS!!!!
Sorry, i just dont think the states converse on such matters and they all seem to think that they have it right, D@#kh@#ds.
I'll go and have my pills now( they're approved Pbs)

It is so frustrating! I would love to get a turtle but am not overly keen on the ones available in VIC. Love northern yellow faced turtles but they are available in every state except VIC.
Seems so silly, should just have 1 list for whole country. dont want to move just so i can get a turtle!!!

Does this frustrate anyone else?

If something is threatened or endangered in the wild i could understand why it would be left off the list but there doesnt seam to be any good reason for it.

Yes its amazing. We just got the 1,000 most intelligent people in Australia to meet and discuss out future but none of them were actually smart enough to suggest that we accept that we are one nation and not 7 different states. time to abolish state governments and get unifrom laws across the country. Pity the poor turtle swimming down the murray river - depending on which bank he comes up on is what laws relate to him.

yes but there is no way my husband would agree to a croc!!!! A turtle tho he might agree to. Also a croc will get big enough to eat my dogs, not good.
But isnt it crazy that you are in QLD and not allowed croc even tho THEY ARE NATIVE up there,even if not in your specific region. Where as there isnt a hope in hell of a croc in the wild down here but they can be kept as pets. CRAZY!!!!

Yes its amazing. We just got the 1,000 most intelligent people in Australia to meet and discuss out future but none of them were actually smart enough to suggest that we accept that we are one nation and not 7 different states. time to abolish state governments and get unifrom laws across the country. Pity the poor turtle swimming down the murray river - depending on which bank he comes up on is what laws relate to him.

yes......well said. Maybe one day something will happen....

Ok the vic list was developed pre 1992. At the time the wildlife regs were developed they grouped all the species that were presently kept in vic and that became the list. To get new species on the list you had to forward a submission which jumps through the hoops so to speak. This takes yrs. Every ten yrs they review the regs which is the time to get things changed abit quicker. The last review was 2002 so the next one is due 2012.

Ok the vic list was developed pre 1992. At the time the wildlife regs were developed they grouped all the species that were presently kept in vic and that became the list. To get new species on the list you had to forward a submission which jumps through the hoops so to speak. This takes yrs. Every ten yrs they review the regs which is the time to get things changed abit quicker. The last review was 2002 so the next one is due 2012.
When you say forward a submission, what does that mean exactly? Is it worth doing it now if i want a particular species to be added to the list or wait til 2012? Will it make any difference?

When you say forward a submission, what does that mean exactly? Is it worth doing it now if i want a particular species to be added to the list or wait til 2012? Will it make any difference?
Im not 100% on everything a successful submission suppose to have these days but things I would put in include natural distribution, its status in the wild, numbers in captivity, what are their requirements, etc etc. Try to include as much info as you can.

Sorry but i have to say this;
S.A. NP&WS LAWS RULE.
All states should be the same.

cool, thanks for that. 4 years(sigh). It will probably take that long to convince my hubby to let me get them anyway:)

Now is a good time to start the research as it takes a very long time. Maybe ask around to see if someone has a copy of the spencer monitor submission to give you a better idea. I know a few people working on trying to get the advanced list like other states whereby if you could legally obtain it from other states then you can keep it.

Hmmm, so there isnt a form to fill out, its more like writing a persuasive essay on why it should be allowed to be kept? Or am i confused? Just had a look at info on net reg PN turtle.

You got that right thats what it is and if it doesnt jump through their hoops they ignore it, If it ticks all the boxes they will think about it and sit on it for a few yrs. Thats why 2011 will be a good yr to floor them with submissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back