difficulty in gettin my baby coastal feedin

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythons73

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
can some1 please give me a few more ideas,ive had it for 6weeks and its only eaten 1 pinky,ive keeped it warm,etc

brain the pinky, i think you have to stick a pin in its head to make it bleed, and apparently the python will pick up the scent to eat.

can some1 please give me a few more ideas,ive had it for 6weeks and its only eaten 1 pinky,ive keeped it warm,etc

can you give us a few more details, temps?, how old is it?, when did it last feed prior to you buying it?, has it pooped?.
cheers:)

try heating its food in a plastic bag just float it in boiling water in the bag then wiggle it heaps in front of its face
failing that try a live pinkie but only if all else has failed

brain the pinky, i think you have to stick a pin in its head to make it bleed, and apparently the python will pick up the scent to eat.

I don't know about that idea????
How many times has it eaten before you got it?
Try live pinkie mice straight from the nest and still warm.
If it doesn't take it put it back and try again in 2 days.

try heating its food in a plastic bag just float it in boiling water in the bag then wiggle it heaps in front of its face

Um thats the first thing you do anyway when feeding frozen thawed.. use warm water not boiling, and trying a live pinky yet is just stupid, theres lots more things he can try.

Some I have heard to try :

- Soak it in chicken stock
- Braining
- Cover it with down feathers from a bird (or stick some in its mouth)
- Leave in enclosure overnight

If it has eaten previously i wouldn't bother scenting etc. The cause is most likely husbandry related. Triple check your temps, if your cage is getting cold during the nights that could be the cause. Ensure you have multiple small, tight fitting hides, and something for the snake to climb on. Also, when attempting to feed, try not to be seen. If it feels threatened by you it will refuse to eat. Try to make as little distubance as possible, and try offering the pinky on the end of some long forceps - try not to be seen or heard at all by the snake.

Um thats the first thing you do anyway when feeding frozen thawed.. use warm water not boiling, and trying a live pinky yet is just stupid, theres lots more things he can try.

Some I have heard to try :

- Soak it in chicken stock
- Braining
- Cover it with down feathers from a bird (or stick some in its mouth)
- Leave in enclosure overnight

Just stupid???
It's the best and quickest way i've got non feeding new pythons.
Don't know what you're on about, much quicker than your other ideas

Using boiling hot water is not a good idea at all, unless you like watching rodent guts exploding over your snake's face, and then having to clean it up. Hot water straight from the tap is perfect for thawing rodents.

What size enclosure do you have the snake in?

We had a MD go into a enclosure and it fed twice in something like six months, moved it into a click clack and placed the click clack in the enclosure it was in so the click clack was half over the heat and now it is eating like a pig.

So if you have the baby coastal in a enclosure maybe try moving it into a click clack, $5 from Bunnings drill holes in it for air vents just little ones so it can't get out, a hide or two and a water bowl, place in the enclosure half over the heat mat, and see how it goes.

If you have it in a click clack check that it isn't getting too cold at night

As above.if it has eaten previously its most likely to be a husbandry related issue or more to the point incorrect temps.What are the min/max temps at the coldest part of the day around 6-7am?

Wiggling the mouse 'heaps' in front of the snakes face could be part of the problem!
I have found the teasjng approach to be better with young snakes that are a bit iffy.
You could try braining the mouse, and (using forceps) try to gently catch the snakes attention with its head, by moving the mouse slowly to the snakes nose and withdrawing it quite slowly to a distance where he would have to move forward a bit to taste it. and hold it there with out jiggling. If it dosnt show interest or tongue flick, repeat this. Jf the snake shows intrest with the mouse infront of his nose, move it back very slowly, and he should follow it. If he follows it an inch or a bit more, stop and allow him to taste, and then withdraw again. They will generally strike when you are moving the mouse away.. If the snake moves away from the food when you move it towards him, dont push it in to his face, hang back for a min, and try again. You will need to be patient..The teasing method can induce them to strike, as they think the prey is retreating. It is also less intimidating than having its food shaken right infront of its face..

I hope that all makes sense! Its very late, and Im very tired..

It is hard to give advice without all your info, but assuming temps are ok, the problem may be that there is more movement around its tank/tub, than its accustomed to.
You could try putting a dark towel over the enclosure, and maybe adding a cpl fake plants to close him in a bit and make him feel more secure.

good luck.

it is in a click/clack with holes drilled on the side,the temperatures are 20dec up cool end and 26dec hot end,it has 2 hides it took a bit off time last time it ate,5weeks ago,im just tryin 2 get a few more ideas,cause ive got no problems with my other 3 pythons,cheers,thanx 4 some ideas.

it has shed about 3 weeks ago,yes it has pooped,its 4 months old,ive ask a nice reliable person that knows whats shes talkin about,she just told me not 2 worry 2 much at the moment,

It would almost positively be a problem related to the mantained temperatures. You must get the warm end up to 32 degrees. Low temperatures maintained over a period of time can result in some very serious health issues for your snake. (Read a few threads on respiratory infection it is very common this time of year). As was suggested to you it is very normal for a python to stop feeding over the cooler months but IMO normal temperatures should be mainting unless attempting to emulate breeding conditions. Hope this helps.

Hey,

Rub garden skink tail on the mouse, it helped with my snake :)

Goodluck!

it has shed about 3 weeks ago,yes it has pooped,its 4 months old,ive ask a nice reliable person that knows whats shes talkin about,she just told me not 2 worry 2 much at the moment,

As others have said push your temps up, The temps you gave us earlier
are way to low to maintain a healthy juvie and you would find in the very early hours of the morning they would be a great deal lower than you have discribed which is not good and
can leed to health problems such as RI,s.
The main reason that juvies wont eat after being taken home is incorect husbandry

The temps are WAY to low for a baby get it up to 30-32 that will get the little bugger eating

Coastals at that age do not need a gradient in temp (according to Keeping CARPET PYTHONS by Simon kortlang) for the first year or so

My coastal is kept in a fridge at 30deg all the time and is growing and feeding well every week here is a link to it
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help/how-to-make-an-incubator-87048

Lewy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back