Dimmer thermostats and UV lighting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbacksnake

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use a dimmer thermostat and what r they like? What do they actually do? Where exactly do I place the probe? I have been told in the middle of the enclosure at the higest basking spot on the back wall.

I am looking at getting a dual digital thermometer with two probes to place at the hot end and cold end. Where do I place the probes?

Somewhere I saw on this site a guide of how much UV per day to give to snakes. Ie. how many hours a day in each season to turn on and off UV by a timer.

Thanks

we still love ya.
you answered your own question with the probes as for the dimmer i havent used one so i whouldn't know sorry

Not sure what u mean by a dimmer thermostat, the thermostats i use are basically a temperature switch, ie turn on when temp drops and turn off once at the set temp, i use a digital timer that u can program for daylight hours and the fluros with UV tubes run of that, just adjust the program to suit the seasons, there not dear there just a plug in one that you can use in your home for holiday lighting etc

Gifts for everyone :D
Thats how i became popular
Who wants another black/gold Jungle ?

Dimming thermostats are the best you can have. They do not just turn on/off like a normal thermostat, but gently adjust the power to the heat source. It works exactly the same as a dimmer switch that you may us to adjust a light in your house, except this time its automaticly done for you.

The thermostats probe checks the temp every 2 seconds and adjusts accordingly. The result is this gentle dimming of the heat sourse(I use light bulbs) that is far more accurate(within .2c) then a normal thermostat(2cto3c).

Also, if you buy a more advanced model with the inbuilt photo cell you have 2 temperature settings. One for daytime and one for nighttime, and these adjust dayly with the sun. As the days and nights gradually get longer or shorter as is nature, so will your cages. Its the closest thing to being outside that you can offer your reptiles. They will be less stressed and breed more often.

Plus as your light bulbs are mainly running at reduced power, they last up to 10 times longer then normal. Not only do you save on the cost of bulbs, but there is also a large drop in the electricty bill each quarter.

Try Tim at Ultimate and ask for more information on the Microclimate Prortional Thermostats. These are the best available in this country today.

As for UV lights for your snakes, the only species of Python(as most are nocturnal anyway) that benifits from UV is the Diamond Python. You are just wasting your money for other species.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back