Dinner Pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olivehydra

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Some pics from dinner time, sorry about quality they were taken in the dark :wink:

Beautiful!

No need to apologize, that first pic is good mate!

You lucky individual!

That little gem is 24 carat!

:?: Is that a pinky mouse or rat?
It's great that it's feeding for you already :)

Well done. You must be pleased 8)

zen

Beautiful!

zen said:
No need to apologize, that first pic is good mate!

You lucky individual!

That little gem is 24 carat!

:?: Is that a pinky mouse or rat?
It's great that it's feeding for you already :)

Well done. You must be pleased 8)

zen

Cheers Zen,
It settled in really well. Mice only cos I'm dreading a prolapse.

Good stuff mate, well done. What are you housing him in at the moment?

MrBredli said:
Good stuff mate, well done. What are you housing him in at the moment?

Set up is plastic storage tub, 4 perches, plastic plants,and 60w ceramic heat to one end. As per Greg Maxwells suggestions except for the perches. Ironically the cheapest herp to house :wink:

Olivehydra, what did you mean by:-
Mice only cos I'm dreading a prolapse.

Are you implying that rat pups are more likely to cause a prolapse :?:

Cheers, zen

MrBredli said:
Any pics of the enclosure?

Here you go, the black perches are the ones I ditched in favour of the white ones in bottom image. They slide through both sides and have no "moving" joints to trap little tails :wink: The cage is larger than most suggest but I find the greenery offers plenty of safe hiding spots and I think it promotes a more active snake. I know some will disagree.

zen said:
Olivehydra, what did you mean by:-
Mice only cos I'm dreading a prolapse.

Are you implying that rat pups are more likely to cause a prolapse :?:

Cheers, zen

Yeah from what I've read and folk that have given advice, most feel that prey size and excessive temps can cause the snake to prolapse. To quote Greg Maxwell, he recommends they are treated delicately, as if made of "wet tissue paper" :wink:

Great pics oliveh, unusual to see any in which the snake is actually doing something :) Good on you for breaking away from the "norm" and showing a gtp as what it really is..... a snake! Well done mate :)

Nice pics and nice setup (I particulary like the way the lamep sits on the bolted wire!). Just a question the wires that are inside the tub is that for probes? - and are they always in there like that or just to check temps?
Cheers,
Dee.

Personally I perfer heat from the cage floor to raise greens. It also keeps the humidity high. Good to see you are only feeding very young pinkies as they are easy to digest, much like water, and will stop it prolapsing. If you feed to oftern or to big a prey item you will surely kick yourself as I know of many people who just couldnt help themselves and prolapsed their greens by doing this. I would feed very young pinkies and move to young pink rats once big enough for at least the first 6-10 months only feeding every 2-3 weeks. I have never had a green prolapse by following this procedure.

TrueBlue said:
Personally I perfer heat from the cage floor to raise greens. It also keeps the humidity high. Good to see you are only feeding very young pinkies as they are easy to digest, much like water, and will stop it prolapsing. If you feed to oftern or to big a prey item you will surely kick yourself as I know of many people who just couldnt help themselves and prolapsed their greens by doing this. I would feed very young pinkies and move to young pink rats once big enough for at least the first 6-10 months only feeding every 2-3 weeks. I have never had a green prolapse by following this procedure.

TB, what temps do you prefer for GTP?

Re: Potential prolapse-
Yeah from what I've read and folk that have given advice, most feel that prey size and excessive temps can cause the snake to prolapse.
Thanks for that elaboration OliveHydra.
I've had herps prolapse before, like Alpine Blotchies, so I wonder :?:
That temperature related causation makes sense, as I'm in Sydney where it's warmer than their natural range.
Feeding too large a prey item is, it seems, a valid factor in causing prolapse.

TrueBlue confirms with:-
Good to see you are only feeding very young pinkies as they are easy to digest, much like water, and will stop it prolapsing. If you feed to oftern or to big a prey item you will surely kick yourself as I know of many people who just couldnt help themselves and prolapsed their greens by doing this.

Food for thought :idea:

Thanks guys.

Cheers, zen

zen said:
Re: Potential prolapse-
Yeah from what I've read and folk that have given advice, most feel that prey size and excessive temps can cause the snake to prolapse.
Thanks for that elaboration OliveHydra.
I've had herps prolapse before, like Alpine Blotchies, so I wonder :?:
That temperature related causation makes sense, as I'm in Sydney where it's warmer than their natural range.
Feeding too large a prey item is, it seems, a valid factor in causing prolapse.

TrueBlue confirms with:-
Good to see you are only feeding very young pinkies as they are easy to digest, much like water, and will stop it prolapsing. If you feed to oftern or to big a prey item you will surely kick yourself as I know of many people who just couldnt help themselves and prolapsed their greens by doing this.

Food for thought :idea:

Thanks guys.

Cheers, zen

Howdy Zen,
Interesting stuff these prolapses :wink: How did you deal with the blueies? Did you re-insert or vet assist? Also I'm "developing" a theory which others may share regarding a relationship between exercise/activity and prolapse. What size enclosures were the alpines kept in if you dont mind me asking?
Cheers,
Dorian

great pics, i cant wait to see the progress of your snake! my vet told me to reduce the effects of prolapse you must spray the snake three times a day, the humidity makes it softer and easy to move through the vent. they are a great snake and i hope to get some one day, hopefully in a couple of years

Cloacal Prolapse

Re:- Cloacal prolapse of organs
How did you deal with the blueies? Did you re-insert or vet assist? Also I'm "developing" a theory which others may share regarding a relationship between exercise/activity and prolapse. What size enclosures were the alpines kept in if you dont mind me asking?

Dorian, the first time it happened, I got to it too late & the prolapsed organ had dried out, with dirt & sticks firmly stuck to it, making it impossible to re-insert. Unfortunately, euthanasia was the only option available for this juvenile (only a few months old) :cry:

The second time it occurred, I discovered it early, while it was still fresh & I kept it damp by wrapping the prolapse & the groin in a moist saline solution soaked bandage. I very carefully re-inserted it successfully.
This one survived with no problems. :D
It was also a juvenile but older, being a couple of years old.

I've never had it happen to adults.
:idea: I wonder if it's a juvenile thing :?:

The trick with treating prolapses is to get them early & keep the prolapsed organ damp by wrapping in a saline solution soaked swab or bandage!
Keeping the prolapsed organ damp is absolutely essential!
Then get them to a herp-vet ASAP!

Unfortunately I can't remember if they were being kept inside or outside at the time. :?
I should have taken more detailed notes :oops:
I keep newborns inside for the first winter, in relatively small enclosures.
Then it's outdoors in big pits for the rest of their life.

At the time, I thought it was caused by feeding too many &/or too large garden snails, with perhaps too much protein in their diet, causing constipation. A bit like human hemorrhoids. :?:

I'll try & find my notes/diary entries taken at the time to find clues.

It's a bit of a mysterious condition :?

Cheers, john

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back