Disgusted

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
damn thats terrible how can they do that??
lol if it were me i'd buy the remainin beardies so they wouldn't have to suffer the same fate

and that comment just feeds the vicious circle. They don't see you saving them, they see items being sold and therefore we should stock MORE!

and that comment just feeds the vicious circle. They don't see you saving them, they see items being sold and therefore we should stock MORE!

oh i didn't look at it that way!!
thats terrible anything for money i guess..

I know the store, I have commented on it before. with the hundreds of livestock they have at any given time I'd be very suprised if thats the only one that has perished!

I honestly do think it is best to buy animals from a reliable breeder as I have only found this store to be reliable with their equipment and prices

damn thats terrible how can they do that??
lol if it were me i'd buy the remainin beardies so they wouldn't have to suffer the same fate

Whats terrible? That a lizard died of unknown causes? How can they do what?

I know the store, I have commented on it before. with the hundreds of livestock they have at any given time I'd be very suprised if thats the only one that has perished!

Id be surprised too. With literally hundreds of live stock then naturally they are increasing their chances of deadstock.

There is nothing in the photographs that definitively points to poor husbandry and/or neglect.

Elapidae... if you saw the whole reptile section and how literally hundreds of hatchling Antaresia are stacked in lunchbox sized containers 7+ high in enclosures with locks all over the store (cause there are that many the containers don't fit in one place) Neglect is the first word that comes to mind along with poor husbandry. The staff do not have enough hours in a day to care for all the reptiles AND serve customers along with other jobs like cleaning and restocking the store. Yeah it's great to see a store that publicises their reptile section as their main feature actually have reptiles but someone there needs to own up and start realising that enough is enough. I'm also yet to see a feed/shed history sheet on any of the reptiles. There is no accountability for when any care or cleaning is done, how can you know what's healthy and eating and what isnt?

. I'm also yet to see a feed/shed history sheet on any of the reptiles. There is no accountability for when any care or cleaning is done, how can you know what's healthy and eating and what isnt?

How can you possibly know this? Do you work there?

ummm see posts above. I know which store this is IE I have visited it several times. When I first went there (being a keeper and having worked in the industry most of my life) I asked to see the reptiles they had and asked if they came with a feed/shed history. I do not buy an animal that does not come with this information and they said no. I asked do you keep this history? could I see their records and the head staff member said "oh they just came in this week... we dont really have any" On my next visit I asked again and they said they don't keep any records.

Why? Do YOU work there?

if you ever go back to the pet shop and its like that again make a movie of it and youtube it baby let the hole world see what they do

ummm see posts above. I know which store this is IE I have visited it several times. When I first went there (being a keeper and having worked in the industry most of my life) I asked to see the reptiles they had and asked if they came with a feed/shed history. I do not buy an animal that does not come with this information and they said no. I asked do you keep this history? could I see their records and the head staff member said "oh they just came in this week... we dont really have any" On my next visit I asked again and they said they don't keep any records.

Why? Do YOU work there?

Your previous posts indicated that because you could not physically see any sort of record of health, cleaning etc., such records must not exist, which is clearly a nonsensical deduction.

if there are records... none of the conainers are labelled with anything other than what species is in them. How could anyone keep accurate records (if they are kept on a clipboard or something out the back of the store) when the containers aren't even labelled with a freakin number.
You're very defensive, I do think you work there! Good effort for trying to protect your image and store but this has been building for sometime. Like I said before this store has been spoken about in other threads, the reputation has been soiled. Go back to your superiors and report, take what you have heard here and implement change. Especially the attitudes and behaviours of staff members. My previous employer did not need feedback for that, if they saw on the cameras us slacking we got a stern talking to. Oh and the only area that could get away with a dead animal being seen was the FISH room!

Number one rule on husbandry and care in a pet shop would be to do the rounds and make sure nothing on display is sick or dead.

Whats terrible? That a lizard died of unknown causes? How can they do what?

Id be surprised too. With literally hundreds of live stock then naturally they are increasing their chances of deadstock.

There is nothing in the photographs that definitively points to poor husbandry and/or neglect.

Except for ummm....the dead animal? Maybe it's not a definitive indication of poor husbandry but I'd have an index of suspicion. And I certainly wouldn't be buying the other one.

Animals do indeed die and the more livestock you keep the more likely it is you'll encounter a death. But why leave it there? Imagine a dead rotting kitten or puppy in the pet shop window? And it sounds like the staff were almost amused by it when it was pointed out to them. Chances are there was something wrong either with the animal in the first place or the husbandry. And in either case if the pet shop gave a damn or spent 2-3 minutes researching the stock they are trying to flog off to people they may avoid the dead display. Stories like this one are all to common.

I wouldn't buy any breed of animal from a pet shop anymore. (and I apologise in advance to the few good pet shops out there - I know there are some but unfortunately the bad ones have created a situation where none can be trusted IMO). Generally speaking pet shops (unless you know them particularly well) are good for accessories, maybe some food and not much else. How many supposedly pure bred dogs have you seen from a pet shop that are obviously not pure or died within a year or two of someone buying them? The history of animals in pet shops is often poor and unreliable. There are enough reputable breeders and suppliers of all animals out there that you don't need to run the risk of getting something you didn't want (cross-breeds, diseases etc). If everyone researched and bought only from reputable sources, the rest of them would have to lift their game or give up the trade.

Maybe its just playing dead to fool crickets then it will come to life like a steel spring at feed time !

if there are records... none of the conainers are labelled with anything other than what species is in them. How could anyone keep accurate records (if they are kept on a clipboard or something out the back of the store) when the containers aren't even labelled with a freakin number.
You're very defensive, I do think you work there! Good effort for trying to protect your image and store but this has been building for sometime. Like I said before this store has been spoken about in other threads, the reputation has been soiled. Go back to your superiors and report, take what you have heard here and implement change. Especially the attitudes and behaviours of staff members. My previous employer did not need feedback for that, if they saw on the cameras us slacking we got a stern talking to. Oh and the only area that could get away with a dead animal being seen was the FISH room!

So because i do not take what you say at face value and choose to question what is presented to me before joining the lynch mob, that somehow means i am in league with the store in question...? What an incredibly immature way of looking at things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back