Disgusted

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and this never happens with private keepers???????????????

never had an animal die?

alot of pet stores do leave a bad impression on one,but to be fair to the better ones,alot of private keepers/breeders are every bit as bad to

maybe they got rid of there weaker animals to the petshop,heck maybe a cage mate has hurt that beardy causing its death

with out knowing what happened its to easy to name and shame and pretty unfair to if its not from the neglect you estimate s its cause of death

if they are so bad at these pet shops,why do u go back

Number one rule on husbandry and care in a pet shop would be to do the rounds and make sure nothing on display is sick or dead.

Good policy maybe the pet shop in question should review there policies. No where near a big enough mistake to warrant public naming and discrediting on a forum of often biased an misinformed people.

Except for ummm....the dead animal? Maybe it's not a definitive indication of poor husbandry but I'd have an index of suspicion. And I certainly wouldn't be buying the other one.

Animals do indeed die and the more livestock you keep the more likely it is you'll encounter a death. But why leave it there? Imagine a dead rotting kitten or puppy in the pet shop window? And it sounds like the staff were almost amused by it when it was pointed out to them. Chances are there was something wrong either with the animal in the first place or the husbandry. And in either case if the pet shop gave a damn or spent 2-3 minutes researching the stock they are trying to flog off to people they may avoid the dead display. Stories like this one are all to common.

I wouldn't buy any breed of animal from a pet shop anymore. (and I apologise in advance to the few good pet shops out there - I know there are some but unfortunately the bad ones have created a situation where none can be trusted IMO). Generally speaking pet shops (unless you know them particularly well) are good for accessories, maybe some food and not much else. How many supposedly pure bred dogs have you seen from a pet shop that are obviously not pure or died within a year or two of someone buying them? The history of animals in pet shops is often poor and unreliable. There are enough reputable breeders and suppliers of all animals out there that you don't need to run the risk of getting something you didn't want (cross-breeds, diseases etc). If everyone researched and bought only from reputable sources, the rest of them would have to lift their game or give up the trade.

Like I said earlier maybe they need to review their policies so these incidents don't occur, but it wasn't just left there if it hadn't been noticed.
When you imply that it was just left there you leave the impression it's a much more serious event than an animal that died of natural causes.

Stories like what are all too common? That a pet shop had an animal die of natural causes and being so small they regrettably missed it on their morning rounds which was then discovered by a reptile fancier who jumped to conclusions and upon relaying the now exagerated story on a forum made it sound much worse
than it actually was?

Yeah I suppose that would be fairly common, thankfully this forum doesn't allow businesses to be named and shamed sponsor or not.

Working in an aquarium and reptile shop in Melbourne I can see both sides. I don't know the shop in question but I do know that for our shop at least, we have pretty strict policies. We have a quarantine area, we don't take non feeders, sick looking animals, beardies have to be at least 6weeks old and all snakes have feeding records attached to there enclosures in full view which are given to the customer. We don't sell turtles to ANYONE without knowing how they are to be kept and without water testing, which in most cases means no sale or holding the turtle for 4-6 weeks while their tank cycles. I am also not afraid to tell someone I don't think a reptile is the right purchase for them, hell, I have refused to sell gold fish to people. I spend at least an hour with most first time reptile owners and provide care sheets and I have even given some my private email and phone number. We have one or two regular breeders that supply reptiles but most of our stock comes from people ringing and offering them to us, us checking them over and gathering information, preferably sighting parents. We have one enclosure set up for click clacks for very young snakes and very small snakes like hatchy Stimsons. Beardies are housed in pairs when little and separated at the earliest sign of any aggression but some do lose the odd toe. If one is severely damaged by a cage mate we keep it until someone we feel is suitable comes in and we offer it to them knowing it will go to a loving home. Our enclosures do get slightly messy on days we are run off our feet, but the babies care comes first, before customers. I run the reptile section pretty much single handed so I would not let my boss accrue hundreds of snakes and he always asks me before purchasing any animal. We have some outstanding animals come through the shop, not the rejects people can't sell then we have standard animals. Yes we have lost things, not many, one frog and a couple of very small turtles since I have been there but overall, considering the number of reptiles we have in and through the shop it is a pretty good average and as was stated, not something unique to shops. I love the reptiles in the shop and care for them like they are my own and anyone that has come into the shop can see that. Just another perspective for the folks that think all shops are just in it for the cash and hire people that haven't a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back