distinguishing eastern and central beardies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swaddo

Reaction score
wondering how ppl distinguish between a central and an eastern beardies. Up til now I've just relied on mouth colour (centrals pink & easterns yellow) but after a conversation on the weekend I am wondering if this is actually correct.

I go by a few things, easterns have quite distinct bands on the tail, easterns have a flap that slightly covers the ear hole(what is that called?)making it appear slight triangular compared to centrals & easterns have a longer pointier head.

Hi - There are 4 distinguishing factors that Pogona Barbata (Eastern) have that Vitticeps(Central) don't:

th_BigFellabarbataage3003.jpg

No.1 : 3 grey dots on their nose, 2 at the tip & one behind. Some say only babies have this, but this is by 3 yr old Big Fella.
No. 2 is the triangular head as noted above, very different from the Vitticeps
They also have:
th_BigFellabarbataage3001.jpg

the more symetrically ridged tail, more specific than on the Vitticeps

Big Fella wouldn't accommodate me with opening his mouth, but the distinctive bright yellow mouth, as compared with the pinker colour of the vitticeps, is the 4th & most distinguishing. I have also found from having both species that the Barbata's "Bearding" is not near as spectacular/rounded as the Vitticeps.
If you've had a discussion with someone who is arguing the yellow mouth, not only has BigFella got it, but the 3 wild Barbata we have had in our yard just this yr, in an area where Barbata's live naturally, so I can't understand your confusion there?
Hope that helps! Kathy

Also if you look it the spines on the back of the head on Easterns it forms a kind of U shape or n shape depending what way you look at them while the spines on the back of a central form a straight line.

Oohhhh - BigFella's asleep & it's dark outside so I am NOT racing out to get a photo of that - I'm comparing in the morning though:lol:

Also if you look it the spines on the back of the head on Easterns it forms a kind of U shape or n shape depending what way you look at them while the spines on the back of a central form a straight line.

Bit slow - I got it now. That's why I wrote the triangular head, as Vitticeps can form a soft or running writing W as compared to the harshness of Barbata's Capital W. And no, I'm not an English teacher:lol: Maybe this is one of those posts where I know what I mean & no-one else does:(, but I think I better just get used to that!

Nar I wasnt picking on you. You are right though they do have a different head shape. Another indictor if it is only between centrals and easterns is if you look at the row on spines on the side of its body, centrals have two neat rows whereas eastern have a kinda messy series of rows. But thats only if its a choice between eastern and central other beardies can have that too.

Easterns have a pattern on their head like there is moss growing on them.
Centrals have v type stripes on their head.

the animal I am thinking of was one I saw on the weekend. It had a pink mouth but a longer nose than the centrals that we have. If the yellow mouth is peculiar to the eastern then it might possibly be a cross?

btw, It was a rescued animal (suspected escaped pet as it cant hunt at all) and so wil be in permanent care

Don't worry I laughed at myself because I cannot pin point what I look for to distinguish them lol.

Hey just think, u can sound really educated now when telling people the differences:lol::D:lol: , unless you're memory's shot like mine:(

A small part from my book:

"Pogona barbata

Eastern Bearded Dragon
Highly variable in both colour and pattern. Ranging from Light brown to black. Along the middle of the back are 2 rows of lighter blotches starting the base of the neck and continuing down the body forming bands onto and along the tail. Juveniles are very light in colour with light brown variegations. The ventral surface is dull white to light grey with darker spotting. The mouth colour is bright yellow. Snout to vent length to 250mm with a total length to 600mm.

Diurnal. Semi Arboreal. Found in a wide range of habitats from moist forests to dry open grassland. Often seen basking on top of fence posts and on fallen timber. They live in burrows, which are often at the base of the fence post they are perched upon. When approached they will usually slide down off the top of the post and keep themselves on the opposite side of to the would be predator.

With in Victorian P. barbata can be confused with P. vitticeps. They are easily told apart by a row of enlarged spines in a semi circle pointing to the tail, rather than fairly straight line across on the top of the back of head.

They mainly eat insects and other arthropods as young specimens, however as adults they eat more plant material and will even occasionally take small vertebrates. In captivity they eat a wide range of vegetables and fruit as well as pink mice and even canned pet food. Oviparous, laying a clutch of up to 35 eggs (Swan, 1990). These can take 75 days to hatch at 30 degrees Celsius.

Pogona vitticeps

Central Bearded Dragon
Ranging from light brown to almost black above with some specimens having lighter marking along the spine. The tail sometimes has lighter bands. In some specimens the beard is much darker than the rest of the dragon. The ventral surface usually cream to light grey with darker markings. The juveniles are usually whitish with darker variegations. The mouth can be either bright yellow or pink. Snout to vent length to 250 mm, with a total length to 550mm.

Diurnal. Terrestrial. Restricted in Victoria to the northwest corner. Usually found in dry habitats from mallee shrubland to open farmland. Often seen basking on roads and tracks, on rocks and fallen timber as well as fence posts. They mainly live in self dug burrows. When found in an open area they will open press themselves against the ground rather than running to escape. This is thought to be a defense against birds of prey.

P. vitticeps can be easily separated from its close relative P. barbata by having a generally straight row of spines across the back of the head rather than the backward pointing semi circle row of enlarged spines in P. barbata.

One of the most commonly kept lizards as pets around the world. Their diet is mainly arthropods but will sometimes take plant matter. In captivity they will take a wide range of plant matter as well as pink mice and canned pet foods. Oviparous, laying up 42 eggs in a single clutch. The eggs can take between 58 to 80 days to hatch when incubated at 30 degrees Celsius.
"

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back