DIY Pine enclosure in progress, and one to sell?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to do artistic welding back in high school, but I wouldn't trust myself now. I like working with most things, but metal and glass seem too... non malleable for my tastes. =)

Good on you virides, there's that awesome customer service again
Great job rosequoll, always good to see the girls push the boys out of the shed and show them we can DIY too :)

Definitely! Add to next order, I definitely don't have the cash for the on it's own order. I'll go stainless steel and two complete crickets (so a pair of complete crickets, yes?) and I am happy to send you pics when it's all installed. =) As for payment, I can pay via bank or paypal or whatever, just PM me. =)

Was the handles going on this enclosure to be frogs? We haven't designed them yet, but if they are also to be stainless we will look into cutting them as part of the set with the cricket handles however if the order becomes to expensive, the frogs may come later.

Good on you virides, there's that awesome customer service again

Was the handles going on this enclosure to be frogs? We haven't designed them yet, but if they are also to be stainless we will look into cutting them as part of the set with the cricket handles however if the order becomes to expensive, the frogs may come later.

Just the crickets actually! Frogs will go IN the enclosure but I think it'd be cute to have crickets for the handles. =)

Just the crickets actually! Frogs will go IN the enclosure but I think it'd be cute to have crickets for the handles. =)

Well we hope to have the stainless handles cut sometime within the next month, will let you know when we expect delivery.

...suggestions for sizes...

Wow, it looks absolutely awesome!! WELL DONE.
I've taken my boy to see snakes at zoos, where their (frog) enclosures weren't as near as nice as this one. – Congrats.

RE sizes, you need to do a bit research, who's your target market? Briefly, I don't know anything about frogs, but small zoos/reptile parks could be the way to go.

In the snake arena, you have arboreal snakes that require tall enclosures to climb and then terrestrial snakes require a lot more floor space as they don't climb as much.
However, some arboreal snakes also require a more tropical/humid habitat, so you need to think of water/damp proofing.

Hope this helps a bit.

P.S. I just built my own 4ft er and was told not to use pine as it releases oils, armful to snakes. Some may disagree?
Maybe pine needs to be treated or painted?

P.S.2 – I can't remember well, but I think here you'll find some useful tips about appropriate
Enclosures:
Untitled Document

Light fittings:
http://www.southernxreptiles.com/Article PDFs/q_a_vol4i6.pdf

And here some photos (of what I built):
How to build an Enclosure.jpgEnclosure in Melamine.jpgEnclosure 4ft-1200mm.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I don't think the pine is an issue honestly. Most people will clear coat a raw pine enclosure anyways so that helps. I've made my one to sell (need to bump that now actually), went with 2.5ft square and 3ft tall. No buyer yet but here's hoping!

Thanks. I don't think the pine is an issue honestly. Most people will clear coat a raw pine enclosure anyways so that helps. I've made my one to sell (need to bump that now actually), went with 2.5ft square and 3ft tall. No buyer yet but here's hoping!

Update on the big enclosure! Got out today and got the enclosure stained. Only thing not done were the cabinet doors, they need a bit more work (wood putty, sanding etc) so they'll get stained next time I'm out to work on it (two weeks). Next work day on it as well will be coating the inside of the enclosure and the inside floor of he cabinet/stand with Crommelin Pond Sealer (in black!).

I prefer the Crommelin because of the gritty texture to it, as well as the fact that it's listed as safe for potable (drinking) water, which makes me consider it more safe for my froggies. Also, quicker dry time as well.

Hopefully by the next visit after that I'll be installing some of the lights and ordering the glass. After that it's just tonnes of work on the floor and walls (making custom rocks/ledges/waterfall/swimming pool) so that it's ready for the frogs. I think it'll be about three months before it's completely done.

Attachments

• photo 1 (1)-001.jpg
    photo 1 (1)-001.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 51
  • photo 4 (1)-001.JPG
    photo 4 (1)-001.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 44
  • photo 4-001.JPG
    photo 4-001.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 50
  • photo 5-001.jpg
    photo 5-001.jpg